LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SECS GEM

Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone has ever implemented a SECS GEM interface in LabVIEW, and if so, if they could share some information about the scale of the project - estimates on man hours required to implement, major hurdles etc.

I am just starting to really dive into the protocol, but from what I have seen so far, while it does seem like a lot of work, everything seems pretty straightforward. There are a lot of 3rd party tools, but none are specifically targeted at LabVIEW, and I would prefer to keep everything in LabVIEW/in house if possible. I know sometimes using an external tool ends up being more pain than it is worth, which I am trying to avoid.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,170 Views)

Anyone?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,113 Views)

Hi paul.ross,

I don't personally have any experience with implementing this type of protocol but I was able to find a KnowledgeBase article of ours that should help out. LabVIEW doesn't support this natively but, as I believe you've found, there are third-party tools, such as OPC Servers, that can be used to accomplish this.

Can LabVIEW Communicate Via the SECS-I or SECS-II Protocol?

Tyler C.
Technical Support Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,108 Views)

Hi Tyler, 

Thanks for the link - I had seen that, however I am really just looking to get information from anyone has implemented an interface(or is fairly familiar with the standard) so that I can get a better idea on the scope of work.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,102 Views)

Hello 

SECS (SEMI Equipment Communications Standard)/GEM (Generic Equipment Model) are communication interface protocols for communication between a semiconductor equipment and a fab host.  More information https://www.einnosys.com/introduction-secs-gem/ 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,434 Views)

Hi Paul,

We have recently interfaced Agil'GEM from Agileo Automation with LabVIEW. It is very straightforward since LabVIEW can natively call .NET Assemblies using .NET 4.0 and Agil'GEM is a full .NET assembly that implements SECS-I, HSMS, SECS-II and GEM SEMI standards.

It is just required to pay attention to a few limitations in the .NET API supported by LabVIEW but this can be easily overcome.

Marc

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,158 Views)

Is the problem solved? Could you share some examples and learn from each other

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(1,738 Views)

The solution is to create a wrapper as described here: https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000PA8QSAW&l

Thanks to the wrapper, you can hide to LabVIEW the things that it doesn't support.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(1,693 Views)