LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCRAMNet, LVRT driver and VISA layer

Hello guys,

Some of you already have been using SCRAMNet reflective memory boards with LV (here, here and here)

I'm trying to use one on my current project, but it makes my target RT PC crash (almost all times).

The LVRT SCRAMNet driver I'm using relies on the VISA layer. It seems that the driver won't work anymore with the latest VISA drivers.

Does any LV user here has any working SW configuration and/or code (even a new SCRAMnet driver Smiley Happy)

Note: NI and Curtiss Wright have been contacted, but the community help - if available - is more than welcome

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 25
(5,796 Views)

Mathieu Steiner wrote:

Hello guys,

Some of you already have been using SCRAMNet reflective memory boards with LV (here, here and here)

I'm trying to use one on my current project, but it makes my target RT PC crash (almost all times).

The LVRT SCRAMNet driver I'm using relies on the VISA layer. It seems that the driver won't work anymore with the latest VISA drivers.

Does any LV user here has any working SW configuration and/or code (even a new SCRAMnet driver Smiley Happy)

Note: NI and Curtiss Wright have been contacted, but the community help - if available - is more than welcome

Regards,

I have used both the SCRAMNet 150e and the newer GT versions. I used the 150e under LV 7.1 and the the "gt" under 8.2 or there-abouts. The 150e version was only used under Windows. The GT version ran under both Windows and RT but if I remeber correctly, the interupts were not working correctly so would used polling.

For the 150e version the driver was developed by someone that has since left NI so I have to rely on a "recovery package" we have.

Your best resource is Systran since the support person there is the person that wrote their driver.

if memory serves me correctly we had the driver for the GT version up and running in less than a day .... but there may have a been a challenge with targeting dlls... I'll ask the developer I passed that project too to see what he remebers.

Which flavor of SCRAMNet are you using?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 25
(5,781 Views)

Follow-up

Dale Cramer was the developer of teh SCRAMNet drivers for both the 150e and the gt versions. When last we touched them it was the second version of his dll and the interupts were not working correctly.

There was some confusion in the write-ups about which version of the dll was ofr each target machine.

Once all of the details were worked out it ran fine. Sorry about the lack of details but that is as much as I can say without doing any "real work".

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 3 of 25
(5,775 Views)

Hello Ben,

First of all, thanks for your answer Smiley Wink

I sent an email to D. Cramer this morning. He just answered my email (further details coming later)

The flavor of SCRAMNet I'm using is 150e (we try to use interrupts).

Today, I've been cleaning the code and re-coded everything from scratch again. I manage to read/write from/to the SCRAMNet so that I'm able to communicate with another computer.

The integration of this working piece of code into the rest of the RT application (CAN and FPGA through MXI-4 bridge) leads to random RT PC crashes... Next step is to try with/without the bridge to make sure there is no HW conflict.

I will keep this thread updated.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 25
(5,770 Views)

Mathieu Steiner wrote:

Hello Ben,

First of all, thanks for your answer Smiley Wink

I sent an email to D. Cramer this morning. He just answered my email (further details coming later)

The flavor of SCRAMNet I'm using is 150e (we try to use interrupts).

Today, I've been cleaning the code and re-coded everything from scratch again. I manage to read/write from/to the SCRAMNet so that I'm able to communicate with another computer.

The integration of this working piece of code into the rest of the RT application (CAN and FPGA through MXI-4 bridge) leads to random RT PC crashes... Next step is to try with/without the bridge to make sure there is no HW conflict.

I will keep this thread updated.

Regards,

I never stopped to think about using it on the other side of a bridge. Technically, I beileve even the 150e version of SCRAMNet is faster than PCI. I can't even comment on if the MXI-4 can propogate the interupts from teh 150e bd....

I'll watch for updates.

Ben

Message 5 of 25
(5,764 Views)

Ben, the rest of the system is after the bridge (CAN board, FPGAboard), but theSCRAMNet board is plugged in the RT PC (so not in the PXI chassis after the MXI-4 bridge) - hope this is more clear Smiley Tongue

Update from Curtiss Wright

D. Cramer just confirmed the LVRT driver was developped in 2003 and hasn't been tested with LabVIEW 8.x

They have a released version for their SCRAMNet GT product in april 2008...

Time for GT or software downgrade Smiley Sad ... or find the "salvation function that lies hidden somewhere in the RT package" Smiley Surprised

Regards,

Message Edited by Mathieu Steiner on 07-20-2009 06:47 PM

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 25
(5,762 Views)

We froze our app at LV 7.1 for the 150e version.

The good news is the gt boards are only a fraction of the cost for the old 150e's.

Ben

Message 7 of 25
(5,753 Views)

Ben wrote:

We froze our app at LV 7.1 for the 150e version.

The good news is the gt boards are only a fraction of the cost for the old 150e's.

Ben

Smiley Indifferent and Smiley Surprised

That good to know - if by chance you know which VISA version(s) you tried just let me know.

I ask this since NI confirmed that after early 2007, the driver is not supposed to be working anymore with the new VISA layers (but I don't exactly know which ones will do the job)

The bad news about using a GT board, is that the other side of the SCRAMNet link is an already developped application running on an RTX layer Smiley Very Happy

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 25
(5,750 Views)

a) LabVIEW                 7.1

b) VISA                        3.2

c) VISA32.dll                3.2.0.19

d) NIVISAServer.exe    3.2.0.19

e) NIVISAIC.exe           3.2.0.19

f) Traditional NIDAQ     7.3.0f1

I have to say that it is a little odd that you are asking about developing something for those old boards and one of your nodes is RTX. LV is a "small world" but SCRAMNet is even smaller. Smiley Wink 

I suspect that version of the VISA will not support the MXI-4 but it may support MXI-3.

Ben

Message Edited by Ben on 07-20-2009 01:03 PM
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 25
(5,744 Views)

Ben wrote:

a) LabVIEW                 7.1

b) VISA                        3.2

c) VISA32.dll                3.2.0.19

d) NIVISAServer.exe    3.2.0.19

e) NIVISAIC.exe           3.2.0.19

f) Traditional NIDAQ     7.3.0f1

I have to say that it is a little odd that you are asking about developing something for those old boards and one of your nodes is RTX. LV is a "small world" but SCRAMNet is even smaller. Smiley Wink 

I suspect that version of the VISA will not support the MXI-4 but it may support MXI-3.

Ben

Message Edited by Ben on 07-20-2009 01:03 PM

Thanks Ben !

Be sure of one point: we have no choice regarding the HW configuration... Smiley Surprised It's inherited (I hope it's the right english word for the underlying idea...)

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 25
(5,737 Views)