LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCON Controler IAI

Hello,

I would like to communicate with SCON controler (from IAI Corporation) using Labview through "Modbus Serial" protocol. I would like to move my linear actuator from IAI (RCS2-SA6C).  I'm new in this domain. Can you give me some hints or examples about how to proceed?

Best regards

Aleksandar G.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,509 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,503 Views)

Hi,

I couldn't find the solution to communicate with my SCON controller through the library. I tried to send a string with NI VISA but I don't receive an answer. I tried to send my command Servo ON in ascii ( :01050403FF00F4). Can I send an ascii data through this program? I attached you the front panel and diagram.

Thanks

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,448 Views)
Why aren't you using the modbus library?

Your front panel shows idn? as the command and that surely won't work.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,443 Views)

I try to use the example Master and Slave (from library). And I have many errors when I want to run it. After that I tried to make my program and I couldn't find where and how to write an ascii data.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,435 Views)

The first part is to connect to the actuator. You will need the Modbus Library that Dennis has linked you too. Check page 15 of the manual "PCON, ACON, SCON, ERC2, ERC3 Serial Communication [Modbus Version] Operation Manual, Seventh Edition" for more information on this.

The unit ID may need to be 2 instead of 1 if you controller switch is set to zero. I think it says in the book "address + 1" but i am not sure. I do not have the controller set up in front of me to check. You may need to connect with the IAI PC software first to make it work, but i am not sure.

IAI Robo Initialize.png

The next block is a pretty simple one, it is total moving count and total moving distance. See page 31 of this manual to see what address it is and how to make it work if you are using RTU or ASCII commands. Also a helpful hint is to change the representation of the starting address to display in hex, since this is what the book gives you.

IAI Total Moving Count and Total Moving Distance.png

Hopefully this will help you a bit in getting started with these linear actuators.

{Edit: first part of post got deleted}

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,403 Views)