LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Runtime Engine doesn't run after installation.

To run a program written with LabView 6.0.2 I have downloaded LabView 6.0.2 Runtime installer and run the installer.
I am using MacOSX (10.3.9). LV Runtime 6.02 should run under Classic. The files installed appear in the System Folder:Application Support Folder.
An attempt to run a stand-alone vi resulted in error message : "there is no default application specified... choose application". Well, I can not find the application. None of the files installed looks like an application.
Is the application missing from the installation package?
ryzhik
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,301 Views)

@ryzhik wrote:
To run a program written with LabView 6.0.2 I have downloaded LabView 6.0.2 Runtime installer and run the installer.
I am using MacOSX (10.3.9). LV Runtime 6.02 should run under Classic. The files installed appear in the System Folder:Application Support Folder.
An attempt to run a stand-alone vi resulted in error message : "there is no default application specified... choose application". Well, I can not find the application. None of the files installed looks like an application.
Is the application missing from the installation package?
ryzhik

You can't run a VI in the runtime engine. You need the application builder to create an executable from that VI. The executable itself then is a program, which will simply start on its own and locate the runtime engine in the shared library or some similar place and load it to execute the actual VI.
You could write a small VI which allows to open VIs from disk to run them and then built that into an executable using the Application Builder. But the runtime system itself can't do that directly.

Rolf Kalbermatter
Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,297 Views)
thank you. the file I tried to run was supposed to be an executable written by someone else. Can I recognize an executable? The file has just a regular ending ".vi"
ryzhik
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,295 Views)

@ryzhik wrote:
thank you. the file I tried to run was supposed to be an executable written by someone else. Can I recognize an executable? The file has just a regular ending ".vi"
ryzhik

My Macintosh knowledge is rather rusty. So I can't really tell you how you would see if a file is an executable. As far as Unix would be concerned you could have a look at the file attributes to see if the executable flag is set. But I have no idea how far and how reliable that would be considering the extra layer the MacOS X user interface is adding to the system.

An ending of VI most probably would mean that it is a VI and not an executable, although an ending doesn't really say anything on non DOS/Windows systems other than by convention, which anybody can follow or not at his/her whim.

Rolf Kalbermatter
Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 4 of 4
(2,287 Views)