cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running a VI from a CD or DVD

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if it is possible to create an executable package, so that I don't need to actually install it on another computer, but just be able to run it via CD, DVD, or any external drive.

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(4,012 Views)

You can build an executable and run it from any drive (CD, network location, etc.).  But the computer running the executable will need the proper Run Time Engine and any needed drivers installed.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,992 Views)

Thanks for the reply crossrulz.

In that case, I guess I should have asked the question like, is there a way to independenty install run-time engines on another computer?

The issue is that I have to share my program with someone at a far location. They can't install anything on their restricted computers, so were wondering if a CD alone can carry all the information necessary (seems unlikely now).

Another solution is for them to use a non-restricted computer, but the installer package is huge to email/dropbox. So now I am womdering if I just send an executable, can they somehow install the required runtime engines-only at their end by themselevs? If yes, how?

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,981 Views)

As PC's and software have become more complicated, it is less likely that any old methods of running without the run-time engine installed will work.

But see if anything in this link helps you.  https://lavag.org/topic/13166-running-labview-app-on-cdrom-without-run-time-engine-installed/

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,968 Views)

Thanks for the reply RavensFan.

It seems like a solution which someone more well verse in LabView might look into. I am just surviving with basics.

Again, is there a way the client end can install run-time engines, and I send them an executable only? Is it possible?

I am using LabView reporting feature with MS-Word in my VI. Could that cause a further trouble?

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,959 Views)

Yes.  They can download the run-time from the NI website and install.  It is a free download.  Just make sure they download the version that will match the version of LabVIEW you are building the .exe with.

Report Generation Toolkit and Word may cause problems.  Mainly because the version of Word you use when you build the exe may not match the version of Word they are using.  Microsoft as a nasty tendency to chance there ActiveX calls between different versions of Office.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,956 Views)

@nskatlv wrote:

[...]

Another solution is for them to use a non-restricted computer, but the installer package is huge to email/dropbox. So now I am womdering if I just send an executable, can they somehow install the required runtime engines-only at their end by themselevs? If yes, how?

Regards

They can download installers for the run-time engine; it depends on your software if this is enough.  If it requires hardware drivers, they'll have to find & install them.  I'd just overnight-ship the installer.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 7 of 12
(3,955 Views)

Depending on what is needed by your application, you could probably just create an installer and put it on a DVD for your customer to install from.  Alternatively, you could put the installer on a USB flash drive and mail that to them.  The third option is to just download the Run Time Engine and drivers from ni.com.  I recommend trying to go the DVD route if at all possible.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 8 of 12
(3,951 Views)

Thanks RavensFan, jcarmody, and crossrulz for pointing me in the right direction. I sense that depending on the contents (requirements) of my VI, I would be better off creating an installer myself and shipping that off.

Because I am not working with any hardware, and only worrisome thing could be the Report Generation (which I will think if I can get away with), I can at least once try asking them to download the installers, and just send them the exe to see if it works.

Now, the last thing. Downloading run-time engine from ni.com is same as downloading LabView, or there is special way to do it. Please guide.

Regards

PS: I am using LabVIEW 2013, and a 64-bit machine myself.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,945 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author nskatlv

It should work basically like downloading LabVIEW, but quicker.

See this link.  http://www.ni.com/download/labview-run-time-engine-2013/4059/en/

You say 2013 on a 64-bit machine.  I'm assuming you are running 32-bit LabVIEW on that machine like the vast majority of people would use.

Message 10 of 12
(3,931 Views)