From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running VI Server as a Windows service

Hi all,

I need to get Labview VI Server to somehow run as a Windows service so that when ever the computer is turned on, the VI server application instance can be remotely opened. Nobody logs into the computer so putting labview into start up programs folder is not enough. The VI server needs to start on computer start up and shut down on computer shut down. If the service for some reason crashes or stops responding (Labview 8 seems to crash quite often), it would be nice if the service could be somehow restarted. What are my options? I have previously used a program called srvany.exe to run SpeedFan fan speed control software as a service. Is it the only option also for Labview?

Tomi
--
Tomi Maila
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,535 Views)
There's a full tutorial for how to go about doing this here. Not sure whether the service can be restarted and I'm also not sure why you're seeing crashes. My programs don't crash usually and this is probably caused by something you're doing (like calling external code not in the proper way).

(2,531 Views)
Thanks 🙂 The tutorial seems to be perfect, I'll try it out tomorrow.

Labview crashing happens mostly during the development phase. I have correleted the crashes to two features of Labview. First Labview crash sometimes when one edits the palette sets. Second Labview doesn't handle neatly the new lvlib libraries, especially when one library is nested inside another. Last time I got Labview to crash when I had a A inside which was library B inside which was library C. Library B contained a typedef which VIs in library C used. Then I made a copy of library B using save as command. I assumed that library C also gets copied. Well saving a copy of library B screwed up everything in the copy of library C and then Labview crashed.

If one makes a source distribution of such a nested library structure (C inside B inside A) labview also screws things up, I doesn't crash but the source distribution is not what you would expect.
--
Tomi Maila
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,524 Views)