LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running 32bit VI's developed on 64bit on a 32bit PC

HI.

I have a VI that call a subVIs(my.vi) in dir: C:\program files\app\my.vi

My PC is going to change from 32bit vista to 64bit Win8, then my subVI will be placed in C:\program files (x86)\app\my.vi

The VI's I make still have to run on 32bit XP testPC.

How will LabVIEW handle that when I run the VI on the XP PC. It has been made on a 64 bit where the link to the SubVI is C:\program files (x86)\app\my.vi , but on the XP it will be C:\program files (x86)\app\my.vi!

Is it recompiled and does it have to be saved when I close it on the XP-PC?

/Bjarne

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,737 Views)

Are you running this VI in the LabVIEW environment or from an executable?  If from LabVIEW, then why isn't it in the user.lib folder?  If from executable, then you really should be building that VI into your executables.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,733 Views)

As long as you use the 32-bit versoin of LabVIEW, you will be able to execute your code on a 32-bit machine.

Best Regards

Alex E. Munkhaus
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
System Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,715 Views)

Thank you both:)

But it was not the answer I was looking for. Maybe becaurse I wrote:

"How will LabVIEW handle that when I run the VI on the XP PC. It has been made on a 64 bit where the link to the SubVI is C:\program files (x86)\app\my.vi , but on the XP it will be C:\program files (x86)\app\my.vi!"

It should have been:

How will LabVIEW handle that when I run the VI on the XP PC. It has been made on a 64 bit where the link to the SubVI is C:\program files (x86)\app\my.vi , but on the XP it will be C:\program files\app\my.vi!"

I will try to explain a little bit more.

I have a testsequenser installed at : C:\program files (x86)\app on a 64 bit PC.

It offers some public VI's I can use when I make plugIns for the testsequenser.

My plugins is plased at: C:\Myplugins\

All this is on my developer PC(win8 64bit).

Now I have to deploy my plugin to some test PCs in the factory. They all run XP-32 bit.

On a 32bit PC there is only one program files folder called C:\program files

On my developer PC, my plugin is linking to C:\program files (x86)\app

On the test PC it wil find the subvi at: C:\program files\app.

My Q is: When I open my plugin at the testpc and close it again, will it then ask to be saved because the link to the subvi has changed?

I use LV8.2.1 32bit all the way around;)

Regards Bjarne

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,696 Views)
So, you aren't building an executable? If you place subVIs in a different folder, then when you open the main, you will be prompted for the path. You will be prompted to save when you exit. Why don't you create a folder underneath the main so that the relative paths stay the same?
Message 5 of 9
(2,686 Views)
Placing random files into C:/Program Files/.. with or without (x86) by any other means than a program installer is highly discouraged by Microsoft since Windows Vista. Better is to use one of the well known locations, either a user location if it is specific to a user or a common location if it is specific to the machine. If you use a recent LabVIEW version you should take a look at the VI under Programming->File I/O->File Constants->Get System Directory.vi. Incidentially the Application File selector will return your actual Program Files path but it would be better to use instead User Application Data or Public Application Data.
Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 6 of 9
(2,645 Views)

ThanksSmiley Happy

The Test Sequencer is a program delivered from a third part. It comes with an installer and it's not possible to place it else than  C:\program files or C:\program files (x86)

All my VIs is placed outside C:\program files, but some them use public VIs from the Test sequencer.

Current my developer PC is a Vista 32bit and when I deploy VI to the Test Stations (XP-32bit PCs) the links to program files is ok.

My IT-department would like to change my developer PC to WIN8-64bit.

So my concern is: Can LV 8.2.1 see that the link in the VIs that point to C:\program files (x86) shall point to C:\program files without prompting the user?

If the user will be prompted when LV load the VI or when the VI get closed, I can't switch to WIN8-64bit, because it's not an option that the use should consider such things!

regards Bjarne

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,623 Views)

It really depends how you include the VIs in your program. If you include them directly in your diagram from the Program Files location then it will not work, since the path to the VI is embedded as absolute path in your LabVIEW VIs. If you carefully include the Test Executive VIs in a way that you call them dynamically through VI server then you have all the control about building the path to the VIs at runtime.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,603 Views)

OK, I will stay on with 32bit on my developer PC.

ThanksSmiley Wink

/Bjarne

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,591 Views)