LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run .exe in a web broswer

I know of remote panels but thats not exactly what I want. I have a .VI that takes in text from the user on the front panels and then transmitts that text via TCP/IP to message server.

I want the complete vi and all its inner working to be accessiable from the brower. Can it be done?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,400 Views)
Hi,

then what's your problem to use remote panels?
Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,382 Views)

Remote panels means code running on another computer which is not desirable. I want the labview exe to run as a standalone apllication in the browser. I found some material on line that will help me do this so for the moment thanks for the response but I will do some more reading.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,360 Views)

The short answer is no.

The longer answer is that if you use WebSockets (in Javascript...nothing to do with LV), which is based on TCP/IP, you can open a connection to a server and write data to it from the browser without any plugins etc. required. It is not possible to run a VI entirely inside a browser (only open a connection to an already running VI).

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,355 Views)

well that is my question answered so. I will re evaluate remote panels. I dont have hige devolper experience so I will avoid the web sockets. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,349 Views)

What makes you want it to run within a browser as opposed to a build LabVIEW application that runs in its own window as an .exe?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,333 Views)

Well it runs fine as an .exe .The idea was portabilty and ease of use for the customer.Instead of .exe they would just use the browser but given plugins etc its probably just as easy to use the .exe.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,302 Views)

@Connexus wrote:

Well it runs fine as an .exe .The idea was portabilty and ease of use for the customer.Instead of .exe they would just use the browser but given plugins etc its probably just as easy to use the .exe.

I'd say it is much easier to use an EXE.  Application builder makes EXEs, and installers, which can install other components, shortcuts, edit the registry, basically everything you would need to install a program from any source.  Then that EXE and installer can have a version control where version information can link back to source version.  All of this can be done without relying on a specific browser, or plugin, or technology regarding the web which is ever changing.  Sure it relies on other system level dependencies, like .NET, or system calls, but these change much less often.  If your customer is asking for it to be web based, I'd push back and tell them why this idea is not the right approach.  If you are just experimenting and evaluating, then feel free to try other options, like the servers side and remote front panels.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,274 Views)