From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run build.vi in exe -> Different Errors

Hey,

I created a simple VI for some experimental testing. I put the Build.vi of the VI Application Builder into a new VI and created constant to the project-path, I wanna build.

After that I built an *.exe of my VI which contains the Build.vi (bexe.vi).

If I run my bexe.vi in my project-folder I get the following Error-Message:

code: 7

source: Methodenknoten in GetTargetBuildSpecs.vi->NI_App_Builder_API.lvlib:Build (path).vi->bexe.vi

Translated for English-speakers: Method-Node in GetTargetBuildSpecs.vi->NI_App_Builder_API.lvlib:Build (path).vi->bexe.vi

If I run my bexe.vi in main-folder of LabVIEW ("C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2016")  I get the following error: --> Thought this would be helpful, if LV doesn't change some paths at build from running a VI out of the LabVIEW.exe.

code: 1025

source: VI-Referenz öffnen in NI_App_Builder_API.lvlib:Build (path).vi->bexe.vi<APPEND>
VI-Pfad: <b>C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2016\vi.lib\AppBuilder\BuildTarget.vi</b

Translation: Opening VI-Reference in NI_App_Builder_API.lvlib:Build (path).vi->bexe.vi<APPEND>
VI-Pfad: <b>C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2016\vi.lib\AppBuilder\BuildTarget.vi</b

Can anybody help me with my problem? Do I have to modify any paths in my build-specification or do I have to do something else?

Thanks

Elias

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,885 Views)

Elias,

as the help for the function clearly states:

The Application Builder API VIs cannot be used in the LabVIEW Runtime Engine. Read: The VIs cannot be used inside of an EXE.

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(2,862 Views)

Oh thanks.

And what about cheating and building a DLL or some other kind of library, or does it use the Runtime Engine, too? Sorry about that stupid questions, but I just started using LabVIEW 2 weeks ago.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,855 Views)

Hey,

even a LabVIEW built DLL uses the LabVIEW Runtime.

Best regards

Andreas Gareis
Senior Applications Engineer, NI
Certified LabVIEW Developer & TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,826 Views)

To give you some useful instructions: Write a VI and use the LabVIEW command line parameter to call that VI. This enables your task while not hitting the wall.

The reason for the API not to work in pure runtime environment is that you use the compiler. This is not part of the runtime. Hence, running a build script requires the LV development environment anyways....

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,809 Views)

I already tried this. But the build.vi VI contains a bug, which prompts errors to a popupwindow, although if there are error-wires connected and I tried to get a workaround for this, by compiling my vi to an *.exe.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,804 Views)

Build.vi contains no bug. At least, not for the case you mention. Simply, it was not designed to be used in a fully automated manner as you would like to do.

Paolo
-------------------
LV 7.1, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2021
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,798 Views)

I called the NI-Support about that, they told me, it's a bug.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,794 Views)

I did not encounter any error by using Build.vi. Do you mind sharing the information on that error?

Norbert
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,784 Views)

@Norbert_B  ha scritto:

I did not encounter any error by using Build.vi. Do you mind sharing the information on that error?

See this thread, especially the third post. If any error occurs during build, a dialog box appears even if the error output is wired.

Paolo
-------------------
LV 7.1, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2021
Message 10 of 10
(2,779 Views)