LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run 8.6 executables on Windows 7?

Solved!
Go to solution

We are presently writing LabVIEW programs and executables using version 8.6 on computers running Windows XP operating system.  Our company is upgrading all computers to Windows 7 and we will be upgrading to LabVIEW 2010 or 2011, whatever is presently available.  How do we convert all of our old executables complied in LabVIEW 8.6 to run with LabVIEW 2010 runtime engine?  

OR

How do we install LabVIEW 8.6 Runtime Engine onto a computer running Windows 7?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(6,182 Views)

The only way to convert from 8.6 is to build new applications using the 8.6 source code, using LabVIEW 2010. As to running the 8.6 exe's under Windows 7, while I haven't done it, the LabVIEW Runtime Engine -should- run under Win7, A.F.A.I.K. You can try it by downloading the runtime engine from the NI Site and trying it out. I know that Win7 has some issues with older programs, due to the heightened security features, but so far I haven't run into them.

I'm never thrilled with corporate unilateral decisions to "upgrade" systems that are working, am of the engineering "don't fix it if it ain't broke" school. Had one customer decide to upgrade all of the computers used for their test systems, thought the $1K or so was it. Unfortunately this was right at the time when the new machines came with the then new PCI bus, so it ended up requiring replacing a lot of DAQ, etc., making a lot of work ($) for my company, but costing a lot more than needed to be spent at that point.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(6,169 Views)

I'm under the impression run-time engine 8.6 is used in all versions from LV8.6 and forward. If so you should be able to install the 2010 run-time and use the old executables. Else you'll need to recompile them, and upgrading from 8.6 is usually no hazzle.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(6,161 Views)

@Yamaeda wrote:

I'm under the impression run-time engine 8.6 is used in all versions from LV8.6 and forward. If so you should be able to install the 2010 run-time and use the old executables. Else you'll need to recompile them, and upgrading from 8.6 is usually no hassle.

/Y

Did you see that documented somewhere?

My understanding is that you need the run-time engine installed that matches the version of LabVIEW that built the .exe.

Message 4 of 15
(6,148 Views)

I was trying to find a link but couldn't find any right now. If memory serves it's a deduction from the 2010 install only installing 8.6 runtime.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(6,137 Views)

Thanks to Yamaeda & LV_Pro for your assistance.  It seems there is no clear cut answer.  Since we haven't made the switch to Windows 7 and I don't have LabVIEW 2010 yet, we'll just have to wait and see how much conversion will be required. 

Hopefully we don't have to recompile. I work for a medical device manufacturer and recompiling means lots of work verifying that nothing has changed.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(6,124 Views)

I have LabVIEW 8.6 and 2010 on my PC.  There is a run time engine for each.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(6,122 Views)

We run 8.5.1 executables on Win7 (32- and 64-bit) without problems. We don't use any device drivers so I don't know about that, we just use ethernet connection.

No problem with run-time installation (bundled in the installer for our application).

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(6,115 Views)

Probably that's why I'm experiencing issues, I use COM port serial devices.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(6,110 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Glen_Kastner

If you use the COM port, did you install the VISA runtime on the target machine? Just the LV Run-time is not sufficient when using devices that need drivers.

Message 10 of 15
(6,099 Views)