From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routine structure?

Dear Sir

I would like to know how difference between series and parallel procedure routine, please see the attached file for your reference.

Please let’s me know advantage/disadvantage between them.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,246 Views)

It's all about Data Flow.  In a Serial arrangement, Routine 2 cannot begin to run until Routine 1 finishes (and sends its data to Routine 2), and Routine 3 cannot begin to run until Routine 2 finishes.  Let's say Routine 1 takes 1 second, Routine 2 takes 2 seconds, and Routine 3 takes 3 seconds -- the Serial sequence takes 6 seconds.

When routines run in Parallel, the CPU time is "shared" between them.  There is no "predictability" to the order that code is executed -- in particular, you cannot predict which one finishes first, second or third.  If Routine 1 takes 1 second, Routine 2 takes 2, and Routine 3 takes 3, doing all three in parallel will take a minimum of 3 seconds (and, in many cases if the routines are not "compute-bound", they might all finish in 3 seconds, too, as Routine 3 can run while Routine 1 is "idle" (say, waiting for a File to open).  The three routines share the CPU, with cycles allocated according to some internal scheduling algorithm.

This makes LabVIEW an inherently parallel programming language.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,229 Views)

Don't forgot with parallel processes you can use the snazy phrase "my code is optimized for multi-core computers"

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,225 Views)