LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Robotics Module, MyRio Toolkit and ni-elvismx in Labview 2020 SP1

Hello,

Does anyone know if the following components are still available for Labview 2020?

Robotics Module

MyRio Toolkit

Also, is the ni-elvismx driver no longer supported in Labview 2020 and above?

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(2,080 Views)

Hi, As far as I know, The NI LabVIEW Robotics Module has become End Of Life and it does not support LabVIEW 2020. hence, you don't see Robotics module 2020 version under downloads section. I think, the statement holds true for myrio and elvis toolkit.

Regards,
Dharani | CLA | CTD
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(2,015 Views)

There is no (and probably will be no) LabVIEW myRIO Software Toolkit 2020.  There is a myRIO Software Toolkit 2019, which is compatible with LabVIEW 2019, but is not fully compatible with LabVIEW 2020.

I believe that there will be a myRIO Software Toolkit released with (or shortly after) LabVIEW 2021.

The LabVIEW 2019 software works very well.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(2,004 Views)

Four months after the release of LabVIEW 2021 there is no myRIO Software Toolkit and you cannot program a myRIO with LabVIEW 2021 because if you tried to connect a myRIO tartget from LabVIEW 2021, you´ll get an error: "Access denied: This target is running a version of LabVIEW that is different than LabVIEW on the host computer. For Real-Time targets, you can verify the version and reinstall the Real-Time software using MAX."

The problem is that there is no LabVIEW 2021 Real-Time software for myRIO.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(1,811 Views)

@juavil wrote:

The problem is that there is no LabVIEW 2021 Real-Time software for myRIO.

The problem is more complex actually. LabVIEW Realtime is only the part that makes it possible to add any realtime target to a LabVIEW project, and also provides the cross compiling backend for the different architectures.

Support for specific RIO hardware is done through the CompactRIO (or FlexRIO) installer. NI CompactRIO used to be all that was necessary to install in addition to LabVIEW, LabVIEW Realtime and LabVIEW FPGA to have full support for the myRIO hardware too, together with support for the cRIO and sbRIO hardware. However there was no support for the myRIO hardware in CompactRIO 20.x and also not in 21.x since NI had not done any release of the myRIO components for 2020 and 2021 yet. Supposedly NI is working on a myRIO 2021 release but it has not made the priority list together with the LabVIEW 2021 release date.

Most likely it will be released together with the LabVIEW 2021 SP1 release sometime in spring 2022. But this is my own guess, it is not based on any inside information, which I haven't.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(1,807 Views)

I don't have enough knowledge of LabVIEW internals so with "LabVIEW 2021 Real-Time software" I was referring to the whole distribution on real-time Linux components that you install on the myRIO through NI MAX. 

I have installed 2020 version on October 2020 (no SP1) and programming several myRIO (FPGA, RT VIs, web services, etc) until August 2021. So is not true that there was no support for the myRIO hardware on version 20.x. After installing LabVIEW 2020 I used NI MAX to upgrade the software components inside myRIO to version 20.0.

But now I have upgraded LabVIEW  to 2021 and there is no option to install version 21.0 in my myRIO (I also have different sbRIOs that I have upgraded it's components to version 21.0)

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(1,803 Views)

@juavil wrote:

But now I have upgraded LabVIEW  to 2021 and there is no option to install version 21.0 in my myRIO (I also have different sbRIOs that I have upgraded it's components to version 21.0)

And until NI releases the myRIO Toolkit 2021, you will be out of luck.  Yes, in LabVIEW 2020, it was (barely) possible to use a myRIO with LabVIEW 2020, particularly if it had previously been working with LabVIEW 2019 (I suspect, but haven't "done the experiment", that if you took a newly-formatted myRIO with no software installed (including RT-Linux) and had a LabVIEW PC that had only LabVIEW 2020 installed, you would have the same difficulty you now have with LabVIEW 2021, namely the myRIO would not be "recognized" as a LabVIEW RT Target, and MAX would not be able to install software on it.

Bob Schor

Message 7 of 11
(1,775 Views)

myRIO toolkit is only needed if you want to use the default precompiled FPGA bitfiles, if you create your own FPGA vi you don't need it to use and program myRIO.

Anyway I'm afraid that there won't be "myRIO toolkit 2021". Acording with this page: Software Support for CompactRIO, CompactDAQ, Single-Board RIO, R Series, and EtherCAT - NI the software support for myRIO devices is from LabVIEW 2013 to 2020 SP1.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(1,768 Views)

@juavil wrote:

Anyway I'm afraid that there won't be "myRIO toolkit 2021". Acording with this page: Software Support for CompactRIO, CompactDAQ, Single-Board RIO, R Series, and EtherCAT - NI the software support for myRIO devices is from LabVIEW 2013 to 2020 SP1.

My understanding is that the myRIO Software Toolkit 2021 may be available in the next few (3-4) months.  I really do hope this is correct.  While composing this reply, I looked up some of the other NI Academic products, such as support for myDAQ and some of the (slightly older) sbRIOs, which also have had no updates since LabVIEW 2019.  I do hope that NI is not abandoning the Academic sector (though there has definitely been a reduced emphasis on this sector at NI Week in the last 2-4 years ...).

Bob Schor

Message 9 of 11
(1,762 Views)

For what it is worth, I just tested NI's myDAQ on a Windows 10 PC having only LabVIEW 2021 installed.  The myDAQ did not show up in MAX, so I decided to see if NIPM could find drivers for it.

As mentioned above by @juavil, I found Drivers based on LabVIEW 2019, but nothing more recent.  I chose the minimal "addons" -- LabVIEW 2019, NI Elvis-mx 2019, and no AddOns.  After rebooting, I plugged in a myDAQ and got the familiar "Deedle-dee" of the USB connection, an appearance in MAX, and after a few seconds, I could open Test Panels for the myDAQ.  I don't know if the full functionality of the myDAQ Software Suite is available, but I expect that the myDAQ can be used as a LabVIEW DAQ device (using DAQmx).  I haven't tested MultiSim, at least in part because I've not used it previously ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(1,758 Views)