LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Risks of setting controls programmatically

Does anybody know what are the risks(if any) of setting the values of a control of a vi programmatically from a different vi?

I'll appreciate the help. Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,224 Views)

1) race conditions - If the VI is itself is writting to that control, that last writter wins.

2) Use value Signalling if the control is read by an Event struture.

3) User Interface is a bottle-neck

4) Data buffers are copied.

I'm sure there are more. Of cocurse if you have access to the source code for those, You can investigate both of those issues.

Ben

Message Edited by Ben on 02-26-2010 01:58 PM
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,214 Views)
Ben hit the main issues that come to mind. Lately I have been very focused on decoupling my code and when different components need access to data I use either a message passing scheme or some type of accessor function to get the desired data. The only exception would be subVI specifically designed to update or interact with the user interface. In this case the sole purpose of the subVI is to manipulate the UI so I will allow it to directly interact with the controls or indicators. The primary reason I have adopted this strategy is to increase reusability and modularity of the code.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,197 Views)

Hi!

There can be no risk when you control all the components of the whole program. In other words, it's o'kay if you're the only who writes the code :smileywink:.

Just keep in mind all the things Ben have mentioned.

And, by the way,  setting controls programmatically is what object-oriented programming is about Smiley Happy, so just do it!

Enjoy!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,162 Views)