LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right-clicking in large project locks up LabVIEW for a minute or two

Solved!
Go to solution

I've got a large project -- with lots of classes (and no Actor Framework).  Sometimes when I right-click on a file in the project, LabVIEW just kind of hangs. After waiting 10 or 20 seconds, I give up, do something else, and eventually I can come back to LabVIEW and it'll be unhung -- but I don't get my right-click menu (probably because I went off and did something else).

Any ideas (other than "load fewer files" in my project) for how I can get this responsive again?

(The last post I found about this topic mentioned a fix that got rolled out for LabVIEW 2015.  I'm on 2022.)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 23
(1,737 Views)
Solution
Accepted by _carl

And here's an idea that didn't come from ChatGPT. Exit LabVIEW, then rename the following folder to GProviders_bak:

[LabVIEW 20xx]\resource\Framework\Providers\GProviders

Restart LabVIEW and see if the problem is gone. If so, then one of the built-in project providers is causing the long delay. At this point, you can exit LabVIEW, restore the folder name, then one by one rename the INI files in that folder to .bak and restart LabVIEW and see which one is causing the problem.

My money is on ActorMessageMaker.iniAddActor.iniMessageMaker.ini, or MessageRescripter.ini.

Message 2 of 23
(1,645 Views)

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks Darren!  As I'm not using AF (at least at the moment), I'm just gonna disable all 4 of those for now...  on first check, it appears responsive!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 23
(1,621 Views)

@Darren wrote:

And here's an idea that didn't come from ChatGPT. Exit LabVIEW, then rename the following folder to GProviders_bak:

[LabVIEW 20xx]\resource\Framework\Providers\GProviders

Restart LabVIEW and see if the problem is gone. If so, then one of the built-in project providers is causing the long delay. At this point, you can exit LabVIEW, restore the folder name, then one by one rename the INI files in that folder to .bak and restart LabVIEW and see which one is causing the problem.

My money is on ActorMessageMaker.iniAddActor.iniMessageMaker.ini, or MessageRescripter.ini.

Definitely need to try and remember this for when it happens again some time in the future! Thanks Darren.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 23
(1,561 Views)

I'm experiencing the same issue. It will take some time to sort out which one is the culprit, but assuming you're right that it's the actor framework scripting options, what can be done to fix it? Our projects use AF heavily and it would be very cumbersome to develop without those right click options (I'm assuming you lose those when disabling it).

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 23
(1,267 Views)

Depending on which LabVIEW version you're using, there were some bugs in the AF project providers that have been fixed within the past few years. It may be worth investigating to see if the issue you're having is still present in a more recent LabVIEW release.

Message 6 of 23
(1,263 Views)

I'm on Labview 2023 Q1. This was a new issue when I moved us from 2020 to 2023. Seems to be an issue across any labview installs on 2023 Q1 (i.e. not computer specific).

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 23
(1,254 Views)

It might be a new bug then. Would you be willing to share your code with NI so we could potentially get an official Bug filed and investigate a workaround?

Message 8 of 23
(1,250 Views)

I've done some work removing ini files to narrow it down. It is clearly MessageMaker.ini that is acting up. With that removed, right clicking is instant. With it there, there's at least a few second delay, if not very long delay some times.

Happy to share code to help you find a fix/workaround. Please contact me privately, provide source distribution instructions and a place to upload.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 23
(1,231 Views)

I did more investigating. Same issue on Windows 10 and 11 (lately developing more on windows 11, but have one computer with windows 10 to try it). We are also in 64bit labview.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 23
(1,214 Views)