LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revision history disappears?

Are there any known issues in LV2013 relating to revision history comments disappearing from VIs?

I'm writing a class for which I'm certain I added revision comments and very few are now commented. I could buy that I overlooked one or two, but the majority have no comment- and only the other day I added a bunch of revision comments when I was surprised that they were missing. The sense of deja vu is growing. My colleague said he is getting the same.

Message 1 of 10
(3,241 Views)

Hey ToeCutter,

I've not heard of any issues myself, and couldn't find much about anyone else running into this either.

Are some of your comments still disappearing?

Thanks,
Justin, Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,056 Views)

Is it some kind of update issue (VIs from older LV versions) or simply in LV 2013 itself?

Does it refer to VIs you are working solely local on your machine? Or network stored once different developers work on concurrently?

Do you enter the VI Revision History entry "arbitrarily" during development and saving the VI directly after that explizitely or are you adding the comment when closing the VI?

just curious,

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,053 Views)

Hi guys,

Thanks for showing an interest.

-This is an ongoing issue.

-I usually save code immediately after updating the comments. I've been doing this for years and the problem only started recently. It's too regular to be finger trouble. Started happening to myself and my colleague on another machine at about the same time.

-VIs were all written in LV2013.

-We use a subversion repository (not integrated with labview) to store the VIs. My feeling is this isn't the issue- as SVN knows nothing about LabVIEW file format, so how could it remove one element of the file?

-We add comments regularly and I usually save right after.

-A lot of the code we are working on are class functions. I don't know if this has an bearing on the issue.

Weird one as been using 2013 for some time now and never noticed a problem before.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,042 Views)

When updating the VIs with a comment, is this a saving of the comment only or do you modify the VI, comment and THEN save?

My question exactly is: If modification and comment is saved together: does the comment stay? Versus: When the comment is saved as "stand-alone", does it "disappear"?

So, essentially: Is there a pattern behind the disappearance?

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,031 Views)

No pattern I have been able to discern. The comments are usually the last thing done and are saved along with a functionality change (which is not lost). Sometimes there is a history of several comments that is then lost. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,025 Views)

When the revision history "disappears": Does that reset the revision number?

Norbert

Norbert
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,019 Views)

No, the revision numbers still show correct in the LabVIEW revision history despite the comments going walkies.

Message 8 of 10
(3,011 Views)

Are the comments completly gone or is simple the custom text vanished?

RevisionHistoryComment.PNG

Norbert

Norbert
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,992 Views)

Even we are experiencing the same problem when saving a VI for previous version of LabVIEW.

we do have 2010 (SP1 f4) and 2013 (SP1 f4) versions of code. when we save a vi from 2013 to 2010 version, the revision history is lost, but the revision number is kept.

Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Only the last comment generated by LabVIEW while saving back (from 2013 to 2010 version)  is seen !!!

Shown below is the Revision History settings under Options menu

OptionsRevisionHistory.png

Because of this, we have to go through each newely created VI, save the (very precious) comments manually (copy - paste to new revision). Its horrible when you use a version control software and have different repositoris. its a lot of work, and not acceptable.

RENN

Kudos always welcome for helpful posts 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,900 Views)