LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Review and update from typedef grayed out

I've encountered this several times, and have been able to recover from it through a (haphazard) combination of controls replacements, applying typedef changes, restarts, etc., but haven't figured out the root cause...

When the arrow breaks due to a "Type Definition 'something': LabVIEW cannot update from type definition without incorrectly preserving default values", most of the time this is simple enough to fix (right click the control or indicator, click "Review and Update from Typedef", click "Approve All", then go back and fix default values, if needed).  However, sometimes "Review and Update from Typedef" is grayed out.

Under what conditions does this happen?  When this does occur (for me, anyway), I'm usually replacing controls in a cluster typedef.  Some other odd symptoms I see when this happens is that I either can't create a constant from, say, an unbundle by name, or, when I create a constant from a bundle by name, the constant is created and the wire is broken.

And, of course, what is the best way to recover from this (preferably not the haphazard key and mouse mashing I described in my first paragraph)?

Thanks,

Jim

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(4,700 Views)

@IrishJimJitsu wrote:

I've encountered this several times, and have been able to recover from it through a (haphazard) combination of controls replacements, applying typedef changes, restarts, etc., but haven't figured out the root cause...

When the arrow breaks due to a "Type Definition 'something': LabVIEW cannot update from type definition without incorrectly preserving default values", most of the time this is simple enough to fix (right click the control or indicator, click "Review and Update from Typedef", click "Approve All", then go back and fix default values, if needed).  However, sometimes "Review and Update from Typedef" is grayed out.

Under what conditions does this happen?  When this does occur (for me, anyway), I'm usually replacing controls in a cluster typedef.  Some other odd symptoms I see when this happens is that I either can't create a constant from, say, an unbundle by name, or, when I create a constant from a bundle by name, the constant is created and the wire is broken.

And, of course, what is the best way to recover from this (preferably not the haphazard key and mouse mashing I described in my first paragraph)?

Thanks,

Jim

It might help you

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361P-01/lvdialog/review_update_typedef/

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(4,658 Views)

That article describes the review and update from typedef screen, but nothing about why you might not be able to access it...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(4,653 Views)

Is it possible that the typedef is still open? You need to make sure you save and close the typedef.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(4,642 Views)

True, it can happen then. But what about the not so obvious cases, like when you've closed out everything, reopen the problem VI's and it still persists?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(4,639 Views)

I have the exact same problem!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(4,406 Views)

Maybe your change doesn't require an update.  For example is you change the name of a control you will require a require an update but if you ad a new variable at the end, maybe not?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(4,010 Views)

think this might happen if it's referring to a typedef within a strict typedef.  Like it can't reach inside the strict typedef to get to the one that needs updating.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(4,000 Views)

I had the same problem when I changed something inside a cluster control Type Def (non strict). All VIs except one updated automatically. When I opened the problematic VI the Type Def, like happened to IrishJimJitsu, the "Review and Update from Type Def" option was grayed out. The only solution was a workaround, replacing the control by itself (Replace -> Select a control... -> browse and select the Type Def control file.

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(3,746 Views)

@Manzolli wrote:

I had the same problem when I changed something inside a cluster control Type Def (non strict). All VIs except one updated automatically. When I opened the problematic VI the Type Def, like happened to IrishJimJitsu, the "Review and Update from Type Def" option was grayed out. The only solution was a workaround, replacing the control by itself (Replace -> Select a control... -> browse and select the Type Def control file.

I never saw an issue like this that I haven't resolved by opening the original typedef and updating it.  Very strange.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(3,740 Views)