LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resize the front panel to fit different monitor size

Hello everyone,

I developed an application on a computer with a 13.5” x 8” screen. The final product is going to be used on a 15” x 12” computer.

I set the Windows size to “Maintain proportions for different monitor resolutions” and “Scale all objects as window resizes”. Despite that when run on the 13.5” x 8” screen part of the front panel simply gets cut off.

Is there a way to fix this?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,771 Views)

Hi Broni,

@Broni wrote:

I developed an application on a computer with a 13.5” x 8” screen. The final product is going to be used on a 15” x 12” computer.

Giving the size of your screens in inches is nonsense: the interesting part is the pixel resolution!

General advice:

• design your frontpanel to fit on the smaller screen
  • DON'T use any automatic scaling options
  • when you really need to adapt on (larger) screen size you should use splitters and only scale some FP elements with window size (like graphs or listboxes)…
Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 7
(3,754 Views)

Dealing with different monitor resolutions is always tricky, and automatic resizing rarely produces the results you want.  My general approach is to design 3 or 4 front panels for different resolutions and load the one closest to the monitor resolution without going over.  You can use an application reference to get the current monitor resolution, and load the one you want using VI server functions (open reference and Invoke nodes).

pjroland1121_0-1580827634903.png

Have a look at the NI Front Panel Layout toolkit for saving front panel configurations... https://forums.ni.com/t5/Reference-Design-Content/Front-Panel-Layout-Tool/ta-p/3497370

Alternatively, a more simplistic option is to design your FP for the target machine resolution and don't let anyone change it.  Not really a solution, but probably far simpler than anything else.

Message 3 of 7
(3,728 Views)

As GerdW said, screen resolution (in pixels) is the important statistic, not the physical dimensions.

Also, you might want to check that you have set your "Minimum Panel Size" (in pixels) to an appropriate size. IE, the smallest size you want to support. Again, as GerdW suggests, design your FP for the smallest size you want to support.

---------------------------------------------
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
There are two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Message 4 of 7
(3,723 Views)

Thank you for all your advice!

I will try it and hopefully it works.

Thanks again to all who replied.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,698 Views)

You may find some useful information at this link