From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Representing the state of many buttons by a string

Solved!
Go to solution

I have sixteen switches.

I need to read the status of the switches and form a string as per this format :

<S0,S1,S3........S15,> and pass it via a Serial link to a microcontroller  which will strip the switch status from the string and do something with it. 

I created a small sample with four switches and managed to do what I want.( looks like a college project !)  Of course I should have used a FOR loop but never could do it - it has a Concatenation tunnel option but never understood how it works.

Any better method ?  

Raghunathan
LabVIEW to Automate Hydraulic Test rigs.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,469 Views)

Maybe this will give you some ideas:

temp.png

Message 2 of 5
(2,459 Views)
Solution
Accepted by MogaRaghu

Comments:

• Do not use a Timed Loop -- they are designed for (and should probably only be used for) LabVIEW Real Time code running on LabVIEW Real Time Processors.
  • Whenever you need to do the same thing to multiple Controls (or numbers), you should think "Arrays" and "For Loops".
  • Whenever you need to build Strings, you should think "Format into String".

I was going to attach a Snippet and show you how to do this, but you'll learn far better if I tell you how to do it, and then you do it.

1. Take 4 Booleans and wire them to Build Array.
  2. Make a For Loop and bring this Array in via an Indexing Tunnel.
  3. Also create a Shift Register (to hold the String), and initialize it with "<" (from outside the For Loop.
  4. Inside the Loop, drop a Format Into String function and wire the Shift Register into Initial String and Resulting String.
  5. Wire the Boolean (from the Array) through a Boolean-to-0,1 function to the lower input of Format Into String.
  6. Edit Format String (right-click Format Into String) by adding a "," after the default %d.
  7. On the output side of the For Loop, use one more Format Into String (with Initial String from the Shift Register and the string ">" on the lower input.  The default Format String (%s) is fine.

That does it!  Very compact, very simple, easy to generalize (for other types of inputs), etc.

Bob Schor

P.S. -- I also like GregoryJ's solution.  I tend to stay away from the LabVIEW "Spreadsheet" functions, however ...

Message 3 of 5
(2,443 Views)

@MogaRaghu wrote:

I have sixteen switches.

I need to read the status of the switches and form a string as per this format :

<S0,S1,S3........S15,> and pass it via a Serial link to a microcontroller  which will strip the switch status from the string and do something with it. 

I created a small sample with four switches and managed to do what I want.( looks like a college project !)  Of course I should have used a FOR loop but never could do it - it has a Concatenation tunnel option but never understood how it works.

Any better method ?  

gregoryj beat me to it. However, from your format descriptor, it looks like you need a trailing comma after the last status. This would be the format string to add that last comma

SW_Sim_Trailing Comma.png

Message 4 of 5
(2,441 Views)

Thanks to all three who responded.

I liked Bob's concept .. it does it quite nicely.  Attaching the assignment !! Never really had a an opportunity to use the Boolean-1/0 function. Cute .

Raghunathan
LabVIEW to Automate Hydraulic Test rigs.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,387 Views)