From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report generation with office 365 with NON-breathable account

Solved!
Go to solution
Solution
Accepted by ZiadAlkhoury

@ZiadAlkhoury wrote:

OK first thank you for your funny soul that you have by giving a positive energy for  people to continue  there day. YOU MADE MY DAY BROTHER..

I asked Microsoft any their respond was that there is no standalone version of Office after the 2010 version they all need to be assign to a breathable account ( an account that assigned to a person with an email account).

The NON-Breathable account means that the account assigned to a machine that have more than one user such as a test machine that will be used by all the LAB.

That is only for volume licensing in a company, our company has ran into the same thing but I never heard them use the term "breathable account". They simply said due to the new M$ Office pricing all M$ Office installs have to be tied to a user account, and not only quit installing Office on "test machines" or "lab computers", they removed it and installed Open Office.

If you want a "stand alone" then you have to pay full retail price. The retail Office still requires activation but you don't need a Microsoft account I have Office 2014 at home and it constantly nags me to "Sign In to get the most out of Office" but I never have...

If you absolutely need to create fancy XLSX reports I suggest XLR8 as it does not need Excel to be installed to open manipulate, or create XLSX files

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 36
(1,338 Views)

So what prevents you from connecting that PC to a user account?  Or have an account tied to a "LabTech" username that everyone knows the password to?

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 36
(1,332 Views)

Unfortunately it is the company policy, I tried with them to do it this way but their not allowed to

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 36
(1,315 Views)

Ok does that XLR8 generate reports with MS office 2016, I found in the website that it does for up to 2014, Is there any differences? do I still need the MS office toolkit in LabVIEW to generate the report ? 

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 36
(1,313 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

So what prevents you from connecting that PC to a user account?  Or have an account tied to a "LabTech" username that everyone knows the password to?

In my case company policy, that would be "sharing passwords" according to our IT department.

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 36
(1,304 Views)

@ZiadAlkhoury wrote:

Ok does that XLR8 generate reports with MS office 2016, I found in the website that it does for up to 2014, Is there any differences? do I still need the MS office toolkit in LabVIEW to generate the report ? 

Yes, it generates reports compatible with Office 2016

No, MS Office and the NI Report Generation toolkit does NOT need to be installed on the development or target machine.

BTW: It has a free 30 day demo period.

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 36
(1,306 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

@RavensFan wrote:

In my case company policy, that would be "sharing passwords" according to our IT department.

Actually I should expand on this a bit. Their excuse reasoning for this policy is that every computer on the network needs to be tied to a specific user account, because the user is responsible for all actions their user account makes on network resources.

If multiple users are using the same account you don't know who is responsible for doing something they were not supposed to be doing.

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 36
(1,288 Views)

Correct that is why we have all these test machines in on local account  

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 36
(1,281 Views)

@ZiadAlkhoury wrote:

Unfortunately it is the company policy, I tried with them to do it this way but their not allowed to

Policies can always have exceptions.  It is just a matter of justifying it.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 36
(1,275 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

@ZiadAlkhoury wrote:

Policies can always have exceptions.  It is just a matter of justifying it.

Actually we have got exceptions for "test" computers in the lab. But they also installed a separate physical network in the lab and that is the only network these computer are allowed on. 

It's a double edged sword as they say, as we cannot access any network resources, like plotters and network shares. Since the networks are separate we have to use flash drives to transfer data from the test network to the corporate network. IT takes a "hands off" approach to the lab network, as in if we mess it up don't call them, and it 

exists under the caveat of if we get some virus infection on the network, it's all over.

This also does not fix the problem of MS Office needs to belong to a user account issue unless we can talk our manager into paying full retail for MS Office just to put Excel on a test machine. So far that has only happened once that I know of in five or more years.

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 36
(1,269 Views)