LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report generation tool kit

Hi everyone.

I am new to labview and a quick help would be appreciated.

My VI (attached below) uses report generation tool kit and works perfectly in VI but the executable shows error 7. Now i have already searched online for possible way outs but none seem to be working (at least thats what i think :P). 

the possible answers suggest addition of dynamic VIs required to be embedded into project but unfortunately i am unable to locate them in my PC. 

can anyone point me out in correct direction

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,267 Views)

Did you look at the correct location for the files?

C:\Program Files(x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW x.x\vi.lib\Utility\NIReport.llb\Word\NI_Word.lvclass

NIReport.llb is a directory, not an actual file.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,248 Views)

The pictures you post seem to be from "instructions" on building executables.  Here are some questions:

• What version of LabVIEW are you using?
  • What version of Microsoft Office are you using?
  • When do you get the "File not Found" Error 7?  When building the Executable, or when running it?  Can you show us the Error Message?  It may have a Valuable Clue (that you should follow up).

I notice that you are trying to use Word as your Report Tool.  I have experience with using Excel and also with generating HTML reports, but have never tried to use LabVIEW to embed things in Word.  So the following comment might not be completely accurate for your situation --

When I build an application that generates Excel reports (I just checked to make sure my memory was correct), the only File I need to put in the Source Files of the Build Specification is the name of the Start-up VI -- the RGT dependencies are automatically brought into the Build.  Of course, I run this on a machine that has the LabVIEW Run-Time Engine and the appropriate version of Office installed.  I just checked one piece of code with the oldest LabVIEW I'm currently using regularly (LabVIEW 2016), but recall that the Project was directly ported from the original version coded in LabVIEW 2014, so this has been true for at least the last 5 years.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,215 Views)

I did while i was trying to make the executable. (while i was trying to add "always include"  into my labview project).

Then i also made an attempt to locate them manually from the install directory.In my cas while i reach Labview 2017 (as per my assumption it is equivalent to Labview x. x), it only has one folder containing resources not the required vi.lib.. Ignore my ignorance and kindly rectify where i m wrong. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,210 Views)

Answers are:

1. Labview 2017

2. Office 2013 

3. while running the executable.

I will the error message soon under this thread. I am wondering if the template that i used (New Microsoft office document.docx) is also to be included into source files as "always include" file???? 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,206 Views)

I have Good News and Bad News.  The Good News is that you are correct, not doing anything (too) wrong (though there are some "improvements" to your code I'll suggest), but the Error really does exist.  The Bad News is that not only does the Error exist, but it behaves in a strange way that really puzzles me, and that I haven't (yet) figured out how to "fix".  I actually suspect it is a "bug", possibly induced by Microsoft, as Office is a frequently-moving Target.

First, your code.  The first thing I removed was the "Do Once" While Loop (you might want, at a later date, do "do until I say Stop", but when you are testing, Keep It Simple, Sam, a.k.a. K.I.S.S.).  I then removed the Sequence structure -- with the use of Error Lines (congratulations) and the Principle of Data Flow, a Sequence Structure is almost never needed in LabVIEW.  The Exception is when you need a Time Delay and you need to "anchor" it to a part of the code (you have a such a Delay, but its purpose in this code is not clear, and almost certainly not needed).  You also don't need to specify a Template unless you wanted to use something other than the default New Document template.

Second, I could not get the code to do any modifications.  I should note that there is no Font named "Courier" (and "Courier New" also doesn't work), that a point size of 1 is ridiculously tiny (but a point size of 10 also has no effect), and the Text Options also appear to do nothing.

I just checked, and I do have some code that uses the RGT to make Excel Workbooks, and it runs fine (by report from a colleague who is using it to analyze a lot of data).  I, myself, haven't run it recently, but I'll give it a try.

I'm also puzzled by the way the Builder doesn't seem to present options to include the "missing" (why is it missing?) Report Class.  I'm going to poke around a bit more, and will try to figure this out and report back.

Bob Schor

P.S. -- Aha!  It's a "Word" thing.  I made the following changes:

• Changed the Document Type in New Report to HTML.
  • Instead of doing a Print, I did a Save Report to File, naming the output PTF.html.
  • The Good News is the Executable (with only Print to File on the right-hand side) built fine, ran fine (without errors), and produced an output PTF.html
  • The Bad News is that the formatting continued to not work, but at least there's a report!
  • My Strong Suspicion is that NI and LabVIEW are not tracking the subtle changes that Microsoft makes to Office, particularly to Word.  Don't "yell" at NI when the "Third Party" they've helped us to use changes things on them.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,182 Views)

I just tried my LabVIEW 2016 code that my colleague is running, though he is using a version of the code completed two years ago  and largely "left alone".  I recently made some changes and "assumed" that the newest version would work, but haven't given it (yet) to my colleague.

I just ran the Analysis routine that reads the data files and creates Excel Workbooks that summarize the data (from a behavioral experiment).  It ran just fine, using LabVIEW 2016 f5 (32-bit) on Windows 10 (x64), Version 1809 (which I believe is the most recent).

Of course, just as I was about to post this, I realized I'd run the LabVIEW "source" routine, so I ran the Build process and ran again, this time with the Executable.  It still worked (whew!).  I should mention that my Analysis routine creates a multi-sheet WorkBook, each WorkSheet being named for the particular Data Set, and consists of a convention Table with header (the headers are in Bold) and two Graphs, so I'm pretty sure things are working here between LabVIEW 2016 (32-bit) and Excel 2013 (64-bit).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,179 Views)

Please find attached.

PS: sorry for delay

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,155 Views)