cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report Toolkit Bug at Excel Get Data?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello community,

I got a strange error with the NI Report Toolkit.

First, I open the excel file via:

Open the excel fileOpen the excel file

And then read out the Data that is located at the defined row:

Read DataRead Data

If I enter a number that is equal or bigger than 330 via ‘Seriennummer Akku’, that means 332 at the ‘Excel Get Data.vi’, the vi answers with Error -41117 and I got no data out.

The error messageThe error message

The problem is that my excel sheet has more than 332 rows and I realy need them ^^

The vi works from 0 to 332. I can´t understand why it fails at this value.

Does someone have an solution?

Thank you very much

The-Dude

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,389 Views)

Dear Dude,

You almost certainly "did something wrong" or "have a corrupted Excel file".  As you attached neither the "file that fails to read" nor the LabVIEW code (meaning something we can examine, can edit, can correct, can test, can run), that's about as much help as we can give.

The RGT has been around for more than a decade, and has been used successfully by lots of us.  To get the quickest, most robust response to your problem, I recommend you do the following:

1. Compress the folder containing the LabVIEW Project and all of its files that exhibit this behavior.
  2. Attach the resulting .zip file, explaining in your Reply which function is the Top Level VI, and how to set it up to read your Data file.
  3. Also attach the Data File.

This will allow us to duplicate your situation, and see the error (or not!) for ourselves.  Once we see the problem, we can recommend how to fix it.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,373 Views)

Hey Bob,

first of all, thank you very much for your fast response. You are totally right.

Attached you find an 7z container with the necessary vi and the excel file.
If you start the vi (there is just one), klick "Datei laden" and wait while the excel file is opened.
After that is finished, you can enter a number in the field "Seriennummer Akku" and press enter. Then the vi will display the values that are stored at the excel file. If you type 330 or above, the error will appear.

With that files and the information, you should be able to duplicate the situation. I´m curious to hear from you.

The-Dude

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,361 Views)

The reason to say "Compress the file" is that Windows make a .zip, which any Windows 10 system can open.  Yet you chose to use a proprietary compression, which many Forum uses won't be able to (or simply "won't") open.  Oh, well ...

Bob Schor

P.S. -- I own WinZip, which should be able to open a .7z file, but could not open yours.  I'll repeat my request:

• Use Windows 10 to compress the folder holding the Project.  It should generate a .zip file, which Windows can open.
  • Also attach (could be a separate attachment, or included in the Project folder) a suitable Data file.  Be sure to tell us how to set any Front Panel controls that we need.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,354 Views)

Hey Bob,

sorry for the mess. I didn´t know that there are so many differences between 7z and zip.
Attached is the zipped folder. There is everything you need inside. More that the steppes I wrote in my previous post are not necessary to get the error.

Thank you
The-Dude

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,343 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author The-Dude

You are using Excel Get Data.vi with the data type 2D Array of U16 but this is not the actual data type of all the cells in the range you are querying.

Error -41117 details are:

Possible reason(s):

Report Generation Toolkit: One or more cells contain invalid data or data that is incompatible with the specified data type. Remove all invalid data, or specify a different data type.

If you look at your Excel file and displays the formulas you will see that starting on row 330 you have formulas ans conditional formatting. Also the results displayed in column K are not U16 but letters. You also have text in cell G330.

Screen Shot 08-03-20 at 10.09 AM.PNG

That is what's causing the issue.

Ben64

Message 6 of 8
(2,315 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author The-Dude

Since you only want to get the cell capacity and internal resistance, my suggestion is to use twice the Excel Get Data.vi. First time row x column 5 (F) and second time row x column 11 (L), both cases have the start and end set to the same value.

Ben64

Message 7 of 8
(2,312 Views)

Hey Ben64,

ahhh that was to easy but i was not able to see it. Thanks a lot!
It’s clearly to understand after you explained the problems in my excel sheet.
I had my main focus on the VI to find the failure, not on the excel sheet.

Now I reworked my vi and changed the one ExcelGetData query into two ExcelFetData queries as you propose. This is the easiest way I think! 

Thanks man!
The-Dude

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,260 Views)