LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report Generation toolkit weird behavior

I'm having a lot of trouble with the Excel portion of the Report Generation Toolkit.

1.  When I close a project, sometimes after a lot of edits and sometimes not, I often see it wanting to save changes to some VIs that are part of the Excel class in the toolkit! I am quite sure that I have never made any changes that should touch this code. But in the end I acquiesce because if I don't, it just keeps coming back and asking the same thing every time I save my project. So far this has never prevented my program from functioning, but today I'm wondering.

2. And sometimes it actually doesn't work. Lately I'm seeing a lot of undocumented errors -2147221080 and -2146827864. These seem to be somewhat timing dependent: they are more likely to occur (though by no means guaranteed to occur) if I have two instances of NI_Excel.lvclass open at once.

Is anyone else experiencing these bits of weirdness? Got any solutions? And especially, is it DOCUMENTED anywhere that you can't have two instances open at once?
And is it possible to download a fresh copy of the report generation toolkit and install it afresh, getting rid of all the weird changes mentioned in number 2?

LabVIEW 2018 on Windows 10.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,136 Views)

Hey man, looks like you have a corrupt software. I'd recommend to froce reinstall the software

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P8U0SAK

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,092 Views)

For 1) it doesn't sound like the saves are related to explicit changes you're making. You can test that by saving the project, closing entirely out of LV, reopening the project, and trying to close it.  This process would clear the VIs from memory after your save, wouldn't save those VIs, would open them fresh, wouldn't make any of your own edits, and would show if they've changed.  

If so, the idea of a reinstall is a bit overkill, not to mention unlikely to stop the behavior.

It's likely something in the VIs themselves are recompiling.  It could also potentially be a CAR. Sometimes I've seen things here that always ask for a save.  If you click on the "what's changed?" or whatever that text is during the save, does it share anything useful?

For 2) take a look at the hex value of those error codes and google them.  They're more likely to be ActiveX errors than LV errors.  That's why you're not finding LV documentation for them.  If you get the hex values, there's typically some MS help documentation to explain what gets you into those situations.

Also, for clarity, are you saying they sometimes appear when you're running two instances but not every time you're running two instances?  Or, are you saying it also happens when you're not running two instances so you're not entirely sure it's linked to this?

Do you have a smaller reproducing project you can share here so others can see if they get the same behavior?  If so, that's another pretty strong indicator this isn't an installation issue.  That can at least help you focus your troubleshooting efforts.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,073 Views)

If I close the project, refusing to save the NI_excel.lvclass files it mentions, and then I reopen the project, next time I close it it again asks to save those files. Freshly demonstrated again.

> It could also potentially be a CAR.

What is a CAR?

I'm looking through all my C:\National Instruments Downloads\LabVIEW\2018\Products and can find many other items but not this one. Any other ideas on how to reinstall?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,053 Views)