From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report Generation Toolkit MS Office Time Data Error

Dear all,

I am interfacing an Agilent 54830B Oscilloscope with LabVIEW 2015 in order to produce an Excel output of the time vs amplitude data and a picture of the graph displayed on the oscilloscope. I am a beginner in LabVIEW and therefore took things one stage at a time. I firstly used the Simulate Signal VI to generate a sine wave in LabVIEW to establish how to export the waveform data and a picture of the waveform to Excel. This was mostly successful apart from the ‘Time Format String’ associated with the Format Data/Time String VI failed to display the date and time in the way I had intended but I figured I would sort that out later (this was not a major problem). I then went on to download the drivers for the specific oscilloscope and wrote a LabVIEW program to test communication between LabVIEW and the oscilloscope. This worked and the graph on the user interface showed the waveform on the oscilloscope. However, when I combined these two programs and tried to run it, initially an Excel document would appear with no data but with a picture of the waveform. This would quickly disappear and be replaced by an error message. I have attached a screenshot of this error message and also the VI in which the error occurs. I have tried searching the error code but have found nothing. Can anybody see what is wrong and what I need to change?

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,791 Views)

You are using an Express VI, which does "who-knows-what" under the covers.  I recommend learning enough LabVIEW to avoid these "crutches" whenever reasonable.

When considering Date/Time formats, there is a basic difference between how LabVIEW handles (and saves) TimeStamps (basically as seconds since 1 Jan 1904) and how Excel does this (as days since 1 Jan 1900, except they forgot that 1900 isn't a Leap Year, but that only messes up dates before 1 Mar 1900, not such a Major Microsoft Error, I guess ...).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(1,764 Views)