LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing exe files & installers...

Solved!
Go to solution

Ok, so I'm starting to work with distributions and had a question.... say I build an executable and installer, but once I start running it I find that I have a small glitch... nothing that would require extensive rewrite, but maybe I want to update a constant or two or change the font size here and there...  and rebuild my exe file.    Now, do I need to build a whole new installer or can I just take my new exe file and drop it in the target machine replacing the first exe file?   

Thanks!

C

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,692 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author chuggins1434

For testing purposes, you can generally just replace your executable.  But you will want to rebuild your installer for the official release.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,690 Views)

Personally, I always build a new installer (but typically don't include run time engines and such). If you manually copy, the install tools might not know the actually installed version.

Message 3 of 9
(3,687 Views)

I'm with altenbach on this one. I also build an installer without the run-time add-ons each time, but this usually just because I have some support files that are deployed as well that I want to make sure I overwrite. If your application can simply be overwritten with the executable, that is the easiest way. Just make sure you do go back and test the full installer version right before release.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

Message 4 of 9
(3,685 Views)

Ok, good to know... so, how far can you take it?  Where's the line you don't want to cross?  I'm thinking any mods to a sub-VI or channel changes that you're not going to update would be obvious, but updating fonts, moving buttons around, changing or adding buttons...    Thoughts?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,677 Views)

Are you asking in relation to versioning? If you want a change in the executable, you have to rebuild the entire executable. Usually versioning is linked to the executable version, not the installer version.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,668 Views)

I'm asking in relation to the exe file...

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,662 Views)

If you want a change in the executable, you have to rebuild the entire executable.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,654 Views)

Gotcha... I guess I"ll just try a few iterations and see.   Thanks guys for the info and help! 

C

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,649 Views)