LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement for serpOpen.vi

Solved!
Go to solution

I recently downloaded some old software drivers for an RS232 instrument.  When I open the top level front panel, it gets stuck looking for serpOpen.vi in serial.llb.  The latest version of serial.llb (installed in C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.6\vi.lib\Instr) has files like Serial Port Init.vi and serpConfig.vi, but not the one I need.  Does anyone know what the replacement VI is?

Message Edited by RGreg on 10-28-2008 04:54 PM
-------------------
Greg
Certifed LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,312 Views)
I don't remember that VI ever having to be called directly and don't know why it would be in a top level VI. If you have a Open Serial Driver, that would be all that you need. You would also be better off just replacing all of the old functions calls with VISA functions. That is what the latest versions are doing anyway.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,296 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author RGreg

Dennis Knutson wrote:
I don't remember that VI ever having to be called directly and don't know why it would be in a top level VI. If you have a Open Serial Driver, that would be all that you need. You would also be better off just replacing all of the old functions calls with VISA functions. That is what the latest versions are doing anyway.

It was in a subVI that was called by the top level.  And if I have the time later I'll rewrite the drivers to use VISA, but the drivers are messy and written in LV5.  And right now I'm in a hurry to get something up and running - such is life in a startup.

Anyway, I had time to do some digging last night and found out that the missing file is really just a global thats called.  I also found a working copy of the file in someone's LLB online, so I'm posting it here in case anyone needs it.  I hope you don't.

-------------------
Greg
Certifed LabVIEW Developer
Message 3 of 5
(3,268 Views)

Hi,

I have the same problem. Was glad to see you posted the serpOpen.vi here. Unfortunatly I'm still using LV8.5, so I'm unable to open it. Did you find an older version not saved in LV8.6??

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,192 Views)

Sorry, skip last reply.

Already found it!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,186 Views)