LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace panel items in mass

So I have a panel with 21 indicators on it that are the old "modern" sunken numeric indicators.

Is there a fast way to replace them all with "Silver" bordeless indicators or am I stuck with replaceing them one at a time?

There really needs to be a way to d oa "mass change" of panels items.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,029 Views)

VI Scripting could do that, but scripting for only 21 controls is probably more effort than it's worth.

I haven't tried this myself, but you could give this guy's utility a try.

Save and suplicate your code first just in case it messes it up.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,027 Views)

@James.M wrote:

Save and suplicate your code first just in case it messes it up.

"Supplicate your code"!  I know how THAT feels!  Smiley Embarassed

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,993 Views)
Oops
Duplicate*

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,990 Views)

The best way I could suggest would be to do this with shortcut, but I do agree it would be more intuitive to have it under the right click options.

To use the shortcut: Select the multiple objects, press Ctrl-Space, type the new object name, and press Ctrl-P.  All selected objects will be replaced with the specified object name. The object name you probably want is "numeric control (Silver)". You can do this on the front panel and on the block diagram. 

Hope this helps your clicking finger!

-----------------

Aaron F.

National Instruments

Message 5 of 9
(3,920 Views)

@James.M wrote:

I haven't tried this myself, but you could give this guy's utility a try.

Really?  So that exists, but I wasn't aware of it so I wrote my own utility to modernize controls because I hated the use of silver controls in driver level API code.

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Replace-cluster-bug/m-p/3148093#M906580

It does make me feel a little better that the the other version doesn't work with my test VI, but mine works with the test VI from the other one.  Of course it is more flexibile with being able to do other styles, but mine doesn't need recursion.  

Edit:  And of course the utility uses silver controls for API level code...well at least they give the tool to make replacing them easier.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,905 Views)

@Frankay wrote:

The best way I could suggest would be to do this with shortcut, but I do agree it would be more intuitive to have it under the right click options.

To use the shortcut: Select the multiple objects, press Ctrl-Space, type the new object name, and press Ctrl-P.  All selected objects will be replaced with the specified object name. The object name you probably want is "numeric control (Silver)". You can do this on the front panel and on the block diagram. 

Hope this helps your clicking finger!

-----------------

Aaron F.

National Instruments

Very useful trick!.  Unfortunately, I always forget these the details about things like this by the time I get back from from an NI Dev Days or Tech Symposium.  I use Linux at home and have begun to lose my dependency on the mouse so I'm learning to love Quick-Drop and the Shortcuts (sounds like a good name for an NI rock band Smiley Very Happy).  I found this page listing many but your cntl-space > cntl-p trick wasn't listed.  Is there a full listing of all the neat tricks and shortcuts built into LabVIEW?  I know I can program my own but a complete document explaining all the pre-existing keyboard combos would be great.

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361M-01/lvhowto/keyboard_shortcuts/

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,893 Views)

Here's the QuickDrop shortcuts installed with LabVIEW 2014 (2015 is pretty much the same but this was the first result on google).

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361L-01/lvhowto/qd_keyboard_shortcuts/

Also if you want to look at all the ones installed on your computer, open the quick drop window (CTRL+space) and click Configure, on the CTRL-Key Shortcuts tab all of them are listed, with description pulled from the VI that gets ran when that function is invoked.  The align, insert and replace with clipboard, open explorer path (or copy path to the clipboard) are some of my favorite additions found on the QuickDrop Enthusiasts board.

If you are lucky you might even have a mouse pad with the shortcuts listed on it.

Message 8 of 9
(3,882 Views)

Thanks Hooovahh,

I put a 2015 in my search and came up with the page I posted and it has a much more extensive list but the only cntl-p was to print the page (in File Operation mode).  Well I'll just put them all together and make a reference page to print out.  

It's somewhat ironic that there's a mouse pad covered with hints about ways not to need the mouse.  Cat Surprised

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,855 Views)