From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace old exe files with new installer

Hello all,

I need small help. Please help me.

I created one Installer with LabVIEW’2014 & deployed in other PC.
Now, I want to deploy new applications. but, when I’m deploying new application, still old exe files are exists in installation directory.
I want to replace old files with new exe (without un-installing old installer).

For Example: 
Exe V_1.1 is deployed. now, I updated version with Exe V_1.2.  when I'm installing new Installer with Exe V_1.2, still Exe V_1.1 file are exists in same directory.

I found some information related to this on below mentioned link. But, I need Upgrade code & product version number for the same.
I don't know product code of my older installer. could you please tell me where can I get this?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/626109299CA6A5AD86256BBF00621C29

Munna
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,502 Views)

As long as the Upgrade Code is the same, the old EXE should be removed.  The Upgrade Code is found in the Version Information section of the Installer Properties.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 12
(3,478 Views)

Dear Crossrulz,

Thanks for your reply.

Actually I dont know upgarde code of my old installer & I don't have old installer project file. I have only setup files (installer).

Is there there is any option check upgrade code without project file (i.e. without Installer properties)?

Munna
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,471 Views)

That upgrade code is a GUID that can be found in the Windows registry somewhere.  It lets Windows know that an installer you have is of the same product, and should remove the old one before installing the new one.  If you can find that GUID in the registry you can set your new installer to it, and it should work.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,436 Views)

the upgrade code is somewhere in the registry, but if you have the installer package, you can look it up directly from the msi file with msi editor/info tools, like InstEd, Orca, InstallShield or smething similar tool (athough I've never tried it before but it seems to be working based on various sources)

you should look at the upgrade table 

if you don't have an msi file, you can grab it from the installer exe file, while you start it, it will be extracted to the temp folder (you just have to keep the setup open, until you copy the msi somewhere, then you can cancel it)

edit: that is another approach based on the registry, although I'm not sure if it works: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/microsoft.public.platformsdk.msi/tWBAB5tHbbs

(3,427 Views)

It’s showing more than 100 msi files in Installer package. Could please tell me is there is any specific name of this msi file?

Munna
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,421 Views)

Dear All,

Thanks for your help.

Finally I got GUID in installation package. This registry file exists in Volume\bin\dp (File name: install.msi).

I opened this msi file with notepad & I found this code.

Munna
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,401 Views)

Hello all,

Can anyone tell me where these all registry codes will be present in PC after installation?

Munna
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,392 Views)

@Munna232 wrote:

Can anyone tell me where these all registry codes will be present in PC after installation?

My only suggestion is to open Regedit and do a search on that GUID.  I'm assuming it would be under local machine then software.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,367 Views)

I don't have admin rights to open "Regedit".

Is there is any other way?

Munna
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(3,349 Views)