LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace cluster bug

Old bug that appears in lots of LV versions (haven't tried 2013).

When replacing a cluster style (classic, modern, silver) it's emptied and all elements inside is lost. Since it's a graphical representation that shouldn't affect the data that shouldn't happen.

Reproduce:

Place cluster

Place data elements inside

Replace cluster with another style

Cluster emptied.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 22
(4,330 Views)

Cluster emptied with LV2013.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 22
(4,301 Views)

That CAR is so old I bet it has letters in it.....

Message 3 of 22
(4,298 Views)

@Yamaeda wrote:

Old bug that appears in lots of LV versions (haven't tried 2013).

When replacing a cluster style (classic, modern, silver) it's emptied and all elements inside is lost. Since it's a graphical representation that shouldn't affect the data that shouldn't happen.

Reproduce:

Place cluster

Place data elements inside

Replace cluster with another style

Cluster emptied.

/Y

Got news for you.  It even empties out if you replace it with a cluster of the same style.  I suspect it's because it replaces your cluster with a new, empty one.  It's also quite consistent.  This happens wth arrays, also.

[edit]

Curiously, it does NOT happen with tab controls.

[/edit]

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 4 of 22
(4,295 Views)
Message 5 of 22
(4,292 Views)

@ouadji wrote:

toile d'araignee.jpgSmiley Happy

Message 6 of 22
(4,271 Views)

"Replace" Cluster control with empty cluster control gives you an empty cluster.  EXPECTED

This is what type defs are for.  Edit and apply changes to a type def cluster control (Be careful of changes to default values for elements if you go "Strict")

New...Control,,,,, make it a *.ctt, Control, Type def control or Strict type def control and "Replace" works the way the OP seams to want (and the way I expect)

Sorry guys and gals, I don't even expect that a "Replace" error in (no error) from "Classic" with Error In from "Silver" to change the lable since neither is "Strict"ly typed.

Now, I know I'm pressing it by dumping on another reported bug and declairing it "Expected."  Controls, and the control editor could stand a serious upgrade!  What the OP posted is a flaw that needs attention but has workarounds if you read the help file and follow the LabVIEW FP object rules.  I would not be adverse to a major FP object upgrade but, type propogation would need to be bi-directional before this new feature could exist.  Again, I'm not opposed to a major revision of FP objects but, they do work the way they work today.

<I hate tabs mode>

Oh, and Tabs are NOT Controls, they are "containers".  Let me use an ananology, "Milk" is a base data type.  It may be one of several types of milk (Whole , Skim, %x) Replacing "Whole Pasturized Organically grown %1Milk (from a cow)" with "Milk" should provide the default type of the base class.  However, I would expect changing a container would not change its contents.  Pouring %1 Milk from "Carton" to "Pitcher" should result in the change of "%1Milk in a Carton" to "%1Milk in a pitcher." Clusters and arrays are controls not containers.  Type def a Tab with contents and see the difference.  Yup replacing the container with a new type of container does not bring the contents of the old type.  Containers have no contents until they are filled with something.

</I hate tabs mode>

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 22
(4,267 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

"Replace" Cluster control with empty cluster control gives you an empty cluster.  EXPECTED

This is what type defs are for.  Edit and apply changes to a type def cluster control (Be careful of changes to default values for elements if you go "Strict")

I guess that's a matter of perspective. I see it as replacing a cluster STYLE with another STYLE. They're both clusters, Structs, and the data is/should be unaffected.

Yes, a type def works as a workaround as i can replace the cluster and quickly build the data be inserting the type-def, that's not the point. In the RGC-thread we see lots of "workarounds". 😉

And yes, i guess this CAR is so old there's just rust and holes left in the chassis ...

/Y

Qestit Systems
Message 9 of 22
(4,239 Views)

BTW, it works with Error clusters!

/Y

Qestit Systems
0 Kudos