cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repeat waveform by concatenation

Solved!
Go to solution
Hi all,

I have a waveform that is 10 seconds long and I wish to repeat it maybe 1000 times with delays. To do this I run a loop which concatenates the waveform with a shift registered waveform and the delay waveform. The trouble is that generating this takes a long time, which I expect is because I haven't initialised anything and labview isn't being clever about how to manipulate the arrays. Could someone advice please?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(3,835 Views)

Please attach your VI so that (a) we can better understand what you want to do, (b) we can try it for ourselves to see if we can identify the source of the slowness, and (c) we can try out ideas that are relevant to your question without doing a lot of work that is of absolutely no benefit to ourselves in order to help you.  Do not attach a non-executable picture of (part of) your Block Diagram -- we can not "test" a picture.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(3,807 Views)

Ok, I'll strip it down and send it on.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(3,801 Views)

Hi CTR26,

What's the function you are using to concatenate the data? I think build array with concatenate option check is a lot faster than insert into arry.

I just did a benchmark with 100 billions of points and its 40 times faster.

The key may be choose the right function.

Regards.

Sabri JATLAOUI - Certified LabVIEW Architect - Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(3,783 Views)

I've attachted my example. The input constant cluster is the analogue and digital waveforms for a single scan; I then concatenate these with delays to make a full time resolved scan. In the code I repeat the scan once per minute for 10 hours. Labview generats those waveforms in about 30 seconds on my PC. Any help welcome!

P.s. Vi too large to upload, apologies. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8w1mcl2ywhniwct/Waveform%20concatenation%20slow.v2.vi?dl=0

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(3,755 Views)

You are dealing with some very large data sets.  Have you considered streaming the data into a file instead of ever increasing your memory?

And what are you doing with these waveforms?  It is likely that a DAQ or signal generator could just run in regeneration mode to just repeat your waveform for however long you need it to.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(3,736 Views)

I've got a lot of availiable memory and I fear streaming to a hardisk would cause more slow down. 

My current solution is that I have the waves being sent periodically and that does work, I would just like the ideal case where I can prebuild a 10 hour waveform in less than a second.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(3,727 Views)
Solution
Accepted by CTR26

I'm puzzled -- I'm clearly doing something very different from what you are doing in your code.  It looked to me like you had a waveform with a million points (10 seconds at 100KHz) and you were joining it to two other waveforms of some size.  So I cobbled up some code to do just that -- it generated a Waveform with a Duration of 30 (I appended the Waveform to itself three times, so 3 * 10 = 30), the size was three million points (also correct), and it took 13 milliseconds to do this.  Here's the code ...Concatenate Waveforms.png

Obviously, I'm missing something important (or have focussed on the wrong part of the problem).  It would seem to me that if the waveform plays for 10 seconds, and you can generate the next iteration in a few milliseconds, then exploiting LabVIEW's parallelism leaves you with 9.98 seconds to do other interesting things ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(3,706 Views)
Solution
Accepted by CTR26

OK, a 10 hour waveform at 100KHz is 3.6 Giga-samples, so if we're doing double-precision waveforms, that's just under 30 G Bytes.  I see a real problem here ...

BS 

Message 9 of 14
(3,702 Views)

You've got a point, it's probably fair the labview takes a few seconds to produce that much data.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(3,673 Views)