From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing Noise

Hello everyone. We know that in PID control, the derivative part is highly susceptible to noise. I want to know how to remove this noise before starting my derivative action. The data rate which I'm getting from the simulator is at 20hz(same at which my loop runs). Let me know if you need any other info.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,294 Views)

Low pass filter.

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,272 Views)

Thanks for replying. But why not a highpass filter? I have an idea but the Exact reason?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,254 Views)

Noise is typically very ... noisy. If you do a FFT of a noisy signal you'll get frequencies over all the register. The signal you're interested in is 20Hz, which is a very low freqency signal. Technically you can do a 20Hz bandpass, but that'd get a little silly. 🙂

(Do that; create a white or gaussian noise signal and check its FFT) 🙂

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,241 Views)

You want the D part to make the controller faster ... so the challenge is to still a D but seperate from noise...

So one method is to look back some more (use more past values) and try some fitting.

Use the last n (50?) values fit a square function and use that derivative at the endpoint?

Here is a link to some more methods

http://www.holoborodko.com/pavel/numerical-methods/numerical-derivative/smooth-low-noise-differentia...

LabVIEW has a Savitsky-Golay filter vi that can be used to get  low pass derivative coefficients for a FIR filter ...

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,239 Views)

Thank you. What should be the sampling frequency the filters in labview ask?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,232 Views)

Thank you for replying. I partly understood what you said. My D controller is ready. I just want to remove the noise.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,231 Views)