LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote triggering for synchronization

I want to use LabVIEW 8.2 to automate a series of tests. Also involved in the test is a Thermotron temperature chamber. I want to start the sequence of tests upon receiving a signal from the temperature chamber so that the tests and the already-implemented thermotron programming will be synchronized. How can I do this? I want to use an event structure, but LabVIEW will not generate an event based on the level change of an external signal, only user interaction with the front panel. If I can't use an event structure, what's the best way to do what I want? Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,221 Views)

There are many ways to do that, and I don’t know what kind of hardware you use for your tests.  But regardless of the hardware, you can do that by software. If you really want to use the event structure, have a separate thread that polls for the start signal.  In your event structure, create a user event and register for that event (see the LabVIEW example Programmatically Fire Events.vi and also Dynamically Register for Events.vi).  Your separate thread that polls for the start signal should generate the appropriate event to start your test sequence.

Note that you don't want to use registered events, you can also simply poll for your start signal in the timeout case of you event structure.  In that case, simply wire a timeout constant to the timeout connector of your event structure and manage states in your application.

Hope that helps.

Patrick.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,213 Views)
You may also want to check out Teststand.  This is the kind of thing that Teststand is made for.

Justin D.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,198 Views)