LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote system not connecting to primary network in MAX

We're having issues configuring our system in NI MAX. It's a PXIe-8880 with NI LinuxRT OS.

When discovering in MAX, MAX choose to connect through a secondary network (169.254.159.239). Instead of the static IP (192.168.1.155) set as primary in LinuxRT.
One would assume that MAX would try to check what the system has set as it's primary IP (as it's not possible to set it explicity. Only by plug and pray)

Trying to connect by Creating a new connection with the correct IP address, MAX still connects to the wrong one. (And annoyingly also stating "a device was found at the address you stated". But showing another IP)

Suggestions are welcome!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(965 Views)

Check the IP range that your Host PC is using.  One way is to go to Settings, Network & Internet, WiFi (or Ethernet) and note the IPV4 address.  I'm guessing it is not in the 192.168.x.x address space (which is typically used for WiFi).

169.254.x.x is part of the DHCP protocol, which sort-of means "I'm going to assume there's a server out there who can dynamically assign me an IP address to find a target I'm looking for".  Some NI devices come assigned with IPs in the DHCP range (for example, the myRIO is 172.22.11.2).

When I use a PXI with a different Ethernet "range" than my PC's network, I use a second Ethernet card in my PC (typically a desktop).  I also tend to use non-routable addresses, such as the 10.0.0.0 -- 10.255.255.255 range, as this is designed to be "strictly local", and I usually use an inexpensive switch to connect Host to Target (though now more Ethernet cards can do the switching internally, I understand).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(932 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

Check the IP range that your Host PC is using.  One way is to go to Settings, Network & Internet, WiFi (or Ethernet) and note the IPV4 address.  I'm guessing it is not in the 192.168.x.x address space (which is typically used for WiFi).

169.254.x.x is part of the DHCP protocol, which sort-of means "I'm going to assume there's a server out there who can dynamically assign me an IP address to find a target I'm looking for".  Some NI devices come assigned with IPs in the DHCP range (for example, the myRIO is 172.22.11.2).

When I use a PXI with a different Ethernet "range" than my PC's network, I use a second Ethernet card in my PC (typically a desktop).  I also tend to use non-routable addresses, such as the 10.0.0.0 -- 10.255.255.255 range, as this is designed to be "strictly local", and I usually use an inexpensive switch to connect Host to Target (though now more Ethernet cards can do the switching internally, I understand).

Bob Schor

I think 169.254.x.x addresses were designed so you can connect two computers that have been cut off from their DHCP server easily.  When they can't get an address automatically, they will theoretically assign themselves 169.254.[insert randomly generated 16 bit number in octet format here here] so they can connect to each other.  I've noticed that in the real world, many devices seem to default to the same address when there is no DHCP server around.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(921 Views)

Veristand has no issues deploying on the correct address. the 192.168 address is on a secondary network card on the PXI controller. It's used to communicate with a few external instruments and a Raspberry Pi.

The system works for us. But couldnt get MAX to find the system to check configuration.

Your reply got me thinking though. Turned off all other network cards on my laptop. And then MAX found the system on the proper address.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(907 Views)

@FredNiemela wrote:

Veristand has no issues deploying on the correct address. the 192.168 address is on a secondary network card on the PXI controller. It's used to communicate with a few external instruments and a Raspberry Pi.

The system works for us. But couldnt get MAX to find the system to check configuration.

Your reply got me thinking though. Turned off all other network cards on my laptop. And then MAX found the system on the proper address.

Nice detective work!

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(890 Views)