From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote PXI says "No software installed" - MAX says there is

For some reason my PXI is telling me there is no software installed on it but when I look at the remote connection inside MAX on the host computer there are software listed as installed.  I'm not sure why and I think this may have something to do with my other problem - which is that the remote system does not recognize and populate the 'Devices and Interfaces' section in MAX with the six cards I have installed.  As a side note to that, if I boot up in Windows on the PXI controller all of the cards are visible in MAX.

I have a PXI-1042 with embedded controller PXI-8110 w/ hypervisor.  Right now it has all LV2010 "era" software installed which I would like to upgrade to 2011 but that's another storey.  I have it set to boot in LabVIEW RT only.  With a monitor plugged into the PXI controller it says (with some things cut out for brevity):

Transferring controler to user program.

Error booting hard drive boot program.

Initializing network... Static IP address assigned.

Device 1 - MAC address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx - xxx.xxx.x.x (primary)

Device 2 - MAX address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx - disabled

System state: No software installed

When the PXI is in this state I can go onto the host computer, open up MAX, and it will show a list of software installed on this PXI system.  As mentioned before however, it does not show any of the device cards.

Any ideas why this might be?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(4,129 Views)

The error message "Error booting hard drive boot program." really says it all.  When RT attempts to boot, it attempts to load LabVIEW Real-Time; if the real-time components are not present, it will give that error.  Even though you may have installed DAQ and other components, unless you install LabVIEW Real-Time you will get no OS.  That's like installing MS Word on a computer without having Windows installed (sounds funny, but when you're using a 3rd-party to remotely install software it's completely possible).  

Make sure LabVIEW Real-Time is installed on the system.

-Danny

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(4,100 Views)

Well that's the thing.  When I look in MAX it shows that there are LabVIEW Real-Time components installed.  I'm working on just reinstalling everything and have it updated to 2011 because we are moving to that, but the machine has Hypervisor 1.1 on it and I wasn't able to get that updated (and I don't know how to update that particular feature).  I am out of town this week and I know that one of my co-workers is working on that so it may be fixed when I get back. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(4,087 Views)

Fair enough, keep us updated. I'm sure you have access to this, but just in case If you're starting from scratch, here is a getting started guide. http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/375174c.pdf 

Ben D.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(4,076 Views)

I'm back in the office and they weren't able to make too much progress it seems like.  I was able to download Hypervisor21SharedMemory.exe and I attempted to install it to the host PC with the intent on installing it on my target.  When installing it, it asked for a serial number which another co-worker was able to get from NI.  So I put it in and installed all the 2011 support and Hypervisor 2.1 Shared Memory.  It said it was successful and I restarted the machine.  Then when I went to check to see if it was installed, there was nothing in the Start>Programs>National Instruements directory and was not shown in MAX when trying to update the target.  What would be some causes of this?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(4,066 Views)

It appears you should be downloading the software directly to the PXI controller rather than the host computer.

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/11801/en#toc1

Ben D.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(4,053 Views)

So I logged onto the Windows side of the PXI controller and followed these instructions to install Hypervisor 2.1.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/1EEFD2EFC77BA0408625799C005EE3BA

I used the following installation files.

http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/3108/lang/en

But then realized those are just the VIs for editing it.  Is there somewhere, where I can download the installation files for Hypervisor 2.1.  I think my lack of realization what I was actually installing has lead to part of this problem.  One of my co-workers have talked to NI and they are going to send us a disk at his request but if possible I'd like to start the installation today as it is holding up development.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(4,043 Views)

So I have Hypervisor 2.1 installed now.

When I boot into Hypervisor mode showed a connected between the Windows host and the RT PXI partition.  When I click on software to try to add/remove it times out.  And now it doesn't even connect to the PXI.

How do I make this connection, I seem to be having some difficulty.  I have an ethernet port in the controller and an ethernet card in the chassis.  There is also the virtual ethernet port that can be set up.  Is there some trick I am missing?  I have tried using a crossover cable between the two ethernet ports (in the Hypervisor manager one is set to Windows and one is set to Real-Time) and I also tried to enable the virtual ethernet port.  Neither seem to be working or I am missing something.

I have them all set to static IPs that are along the lines of 196.254.1.x with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.  They all say they are connected.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(4,034 Views)

So this doesn't go unresolved.  I did eventually figure it out today.  Ended up being some messed up IP settings and used a crossover between the two different ethernet ports. I still couldn't get it to work with the virtual ethernet port for some reason.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(4,016 Views)

Glad to hear you found a workaround and even documented it. With regards to your second question. This may sound basic, but I have to ask. Did you enable the virtual ethernet port? http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/372833A-01/rthyperhelp/hv_datatransfer/

Ben D.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(4,014 Views)