LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Front Panel via Web Publishing Tool - PXI RT

Hello,

I am very surprised by some strange "phenomenon". Namely, we use multiple PXIs working in a network. For diagnostic purpose, we network publish the Front Panels via HTML generated by the Web Publishing Tool. Basically we follow the procedure described here: https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P7YuSAK

First, we use the Web Publish Tool to create a HTML file based on the Main VI which will be the executed instance on the PXI. The HTML file by default gets created and saved here: C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2015\www

We named it for example as: PXI_target.html. Ok, now we have to add this HTML file into the RT project. After this, we can go to the RT build properties, and start to configure it. Since we got some problems reaching the network published front panel (from the same laptop, which is in the same local network -isolated local network, same subnet- as the PXIs), we started to change things and deviate from the explained settings in the above link. For example, we do not include the HTML in the "Source files" --> "always include" field. We also deviated what was described in the above white paper, regarding to the "Source File settings" option: we did not set the "www" (alias for c:\ni-rt\system\www, we have PharLap) as the destination for the "PXI_target.html" file, but we just selected "Same as caller".

I repeat, with the recommended settings, I could not reach and load the 192.168.2.100:8000/PXI_target.html page (IP and format/port number is 100% correct!) using Internet Explorer (LV and LV RTE present, and Silverlight too), that is why I started to "play with the Build settings". Besides, I double checked, the PXIs have Web server installed, enabled and running after startup/reboot.

What is strange, I realized, Internet Explorer has a kind of strange behaviour, and even with these different settings, I can make it work. I I try to load 192.168.2.100:8000/PXI_target.html, I only get some error msg of the browser. However, if I attempt to load first the page as 192.168.2.100/PXI_target.html, I get an empty html "frame" and some error msg like the VI is not reachable. Strange enough, if at this point, I attempt to load the page 192.168.2.100:8000/PXI_target.html, I get the VI front panel loaded, and i can see it is live, and running, I can interact with it, etc...

From this point, I can reopen this page any time, no problem. However, if I close IE, I have to go through first the step which is trying to load the page without the port number! 🙂

Now I am lost a bit:

1. Why IE does this strange behaviour?
  2. Why the remote front panel works, even if I configured the RT build NOT following the recommended settings (the html file is not in the "always included", and the destination is set to "same as caller" instead of "c:\ni-rt\system\www")???

I can test later, what happens if I use the recommended settings, but keep doing the trick with the silly IE. Actually the IE fooled us, that is why we ended up changing the build settings, which in turn still work actually 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 1
(2,027 Views)