LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Front Panel in LV RT?

"Getting Started --> Operate --> Connect to Remote Front Panel..." allows me to connect to a remote front panel (obviously). However, the program I am creating will need to be accessed by users with the runtime environment but not the developer environment. It seems that this is possible through the VI-in-a-web-page sytem, but that looks to me as though it would be pointlessly complicated compared to Connect to Remote Front Panel.

Is there a way for a "runtime only" user to Connect to a Remote Front panel, such as by a small application build or even something in the runtime download itself? If not, am I at least correct that the VI-in-a-web-page functionality alows remote VI control for "runtime only" users?

Edit: Waaaaait a second... is that option available to any application I make? I thought it was just on the Getting Started screen.

Huh.

(If I'm wrong about something here, feel free to correct me.)

Message Edited by DJDDA on 01-29-2008 04:41 PM
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,793 Views)
DJDDA,

You are correct that the "VI-in-a-webpage" can be viewed and controlled by "run-time only" users.  You can see a step-by-step process for this here.  This will really be the only way for a computer without the LabVIEW Development Environment to access a remote front panel.  You can also access the Operate->Connect to Remote Front Panel functionality in any VI, not only from the Getting Started splash screen.  Hope this helps!

Brian T
Applications Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,769 Views)
Thank you. I just wanted to make sure that I understood everything properly. I have enough issues to deal with in my tests without being uncertain as to whether what I'm trying is even possible.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,758 Views)
Okay... I don't think I made myself clear, and I guess I didn't understand the response. Let me try again. Please ask for clarification if you do not understand, I need to get this working.

A want a client with only the run-time environment to control one of my VI's remotely. I have not been able to make this work.

I DO NOT CURRENTLY HAVE LABVIEW "REAL TIME" (oops).

If I have a VI running in the development environment on the server, should the client be able to Connect to Remote Panel? (I'm guessing no.)

If I have a LabVIEW Application running on the server, should the client be able to Connect to Remote Panel? (I'm guessing no, at this point.)

If I have a VI running embedded in a web page, should the client be able to control it? (I'm guessing no, but I'm not sure.)

Is it possible to embed an application in a web page if the server does not have LabVIEW Real Time on it? (I'm guessing no, at this point, but again I'm not sure.)

I can easily control the VI remotely (in various ways) with another development enironment, but I need it to work for a run-time environment user.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,727 Views)
If you are not using a Real-Time target, you should have not trouble publishing your front panel to the web and controlling it from a remote computer with only LabVIEW Run-Time installed.  Here is what you need to do:

1.  On the host computer with the finished VI, go to Tools->Options, select Web Server: Configuration, and enable the web server.
2.  Then open up Tools->WebPublishing Tool, select your VI and the other properties you wish it to have, and save to disk
3.  You now should be able to go to your remote computer and browse to http://HOST IP ADDRESS/VI NAME.html and view the front panel.  You can right-click on the front panel and Request Control of the VI.

Hope this helps!

Brian T
Message 5 of 6
(2,703 Views)
Thank you. It's working now.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,699 Views)