From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register with an Address and Data

Hi Hamzo,

@Hamzo wrote:

I'm not using NI hardware ,i'm using an FPGA DE10-Nano from Altera.

Then why do you ask in a LabVIEW board for LabVIEW solutions when you use hardware not supported by LabVIEW?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(455 Views)

hello @GerW sorry for the late reply,

My supervisor told me that it's possible so if it was not i think he won't tell me that.

I have also seen some videos related to that

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(432 Views)

It sounds like you need to talk to your supervisor then for help since he says he is the expert.

LabVIEW can only program National Instruments FPGAs.   I'm sure LabVIEW programs can talk to other brands of FPGAs through serial connections.  But how you program those FPGAs to do that, you'll have to ask on forums and using software designed to for those FPGAs.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(423 Views)

@RavensFan haha i will

Thanks for the reply

Exactly i want to use serial connections for that.

Do you have any tips or recommandations by the way ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(420 Views)

Sorry, but I don't really because I've never used other FPGA's beside NI R series cards and cRIO's.

The only thing I could add is just to make sure you come up with a protocol for your messages that will work well between LabVIEW and the code you put on this FPGA.

Determine if it is ASCII based (i.e. human readable) or binary-based.  If ASCII, use a termination character so your LabVIEW program know when to stop at it will have read a full message packet.  If binary, have it send a fixed number of bytes on every call, or prefix the message with 2 or 4 bytes of that will tell how many bytes of data follow.  That way you do a read of 2 (or 4), convert that to a number for the VISA read to know how many bytes to read in its second call.

Look at Crossrulz's VIweek presentation.  Although I don't think he talks about FPGA's in there, you'll find a lot of useful tips for building applications that have robust serial communication schemes.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(416 Views)

Thanks it will help a lot.

I will make you updated

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(409 Views)