From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refprop .dll

I have the Labview examples REFPROP supplied with the installation CD and they work fine.  I would like to find an easy way for making the REFPROP.DLL work in Labview with all of the available functions.  What happens if I import the shared libraries?  What .h (header) file should I use?  There is a .h file in the Refprop examples folder for c++.  I tried using the c++ .h file and recieved the following message:

"The shared library contains 99 function(s). But no function is found and recognized in the header file. The following function(s) cannot be wrapped. If you want to import these functions, please review the warning messages next to the functions below. You will need to fix the problems before you can continue with the wizard."

An example warning is a follows:

fp_ABFL1dllTYPE ABFL1dll;

Undefined symbols can prevent the wizard from recognizing functions and parameters. To correct this problem, check the header file to determine if you must add predefined symbols. Click the Back button to return to the previous page of the wizard to add a predefined symbol (for example, "NIAPI_stdcall = __stdcall" or "NIAPIDefined = 1").

I am not sure what I need to do from here, should I modify the .h file and if so what should it look like?  Am I even headed in the right direction or has a little information made me dangerous?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(8,800 Views)

Take a look at the following discussion forum as some example VIs are attached to call into this DLL.

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&requireLogin=False&thread.id=144710

Alex Person
NI-RIO Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(8,772 Views)
I have already looked at that discussion, thank you for the reply.  I don't think that is exactly what I am trying to do.  I found this discussion on importing dll with the shared libaries wizard.  This is what I am trying to do but with the Refprop.dll.  My problem is I don't know what my header should look like or how it should be modified.  I am pretty sure I am wading in water that is way over my head but I am willing to learn if I have some help.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(8,762 Views)

The other option you have for calling DLLs is to use the Call Library Function Node.  You won't have to include the header file but will have to configure the function calls yourself.  It's more time consuming but lets you use complex data types.  There is a good amount of documentation on it if you search for it but here are some good places to start:

LabVIEW 8.6 Help: Call Library Function Node

LabVIEW 8.6 Help: Configuring the Call Library Function Node

KnowledgeBase article on calling DLLs

Developer Zone: Accessing DLLs from LabVIEW

Alex Person
NI-RIO Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(8,740 Views)

A Person wrote:

Take a look at the following discussion forum as some example VIs are attached to call into this DLL.

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&requireLogin=False&thread.id=144710

I think that link is not so useful, since Refprop DLL does not have all functions exported for LV.

We tried it & now we are thinking of migrating to VB...

- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(8,730 Views)

can anyone please help me on satgv dll .. i need to plot the graph using it 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(5,507 Views)

If it is a different DLL, then start a new thread. 

- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(5,501 Views)

satgv comes under refprop dll 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(5,470 Views)

Hi ashu,

then you still need to call RefProp - it will call this "sub"-DLL on it's own.

As RefProp is quite "tricky" to handle I recommend FluidProp instead. It simplifies access to RefProp function a lot!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(5,466 Views)