From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reference a property node in a seperate VI

I have created a VI that calls on another VI, but before it does, I want to check the "connections to clients" property node in VI being called.  Is there a way to get information from the second VI's property node into the first VI?
-Tek
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,328 Views)

@Tek wrote:
I have created a VI that calls on another VI, but before it does, I want to check the "connections to clients" property node in VI being called.  Is there a way to get information from the second VI's property node into the first VI?
-Tek

Hi Tek,

I didn't find the "connections to clients" property you mention, but here's an example of how to retrieve properties from a VI without actuallly calling it.

Hope it helps!

Cheers

When they give imbeciles handicap-parking, I won't have so far to walk!
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,322 Views)
The Connection To Clients property is an Application class property and such is not specific to a VI. You can call it from any VI and get the same data. If you will examine it (and read the help for it, which you can get to by right clicking it), you will see that the cluster of data includes an element called VI name, which is the same no matter which VI you call the property from.

(2,313 Views)

@tst wrote:
... an element called VI name, which is the same no matter which VI you call the property from.

... unless the VIs exist in different executables(?)  

When they give imbeciles handicap-parking, I won't have so far to walk!
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,286 Views)

I doubt that is the case here, but maybe it will work if you open an application to the other app.

The help for the property says it's only available in the local LV, but I'm not sure if this applies to other applications or only to other computers.

(2,281 Views)

Hello,

I belive that this particular property can be called from any VI running and it will return the same data. 

From this property's help:
"

Returns an array of clusters containing connection information about the clients currently connected to the computer. Each cluster in the array contains the following elements:

• VI Name—Name of the VI on the server that the client is viewing or controlling

........ "

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Travis M
Applications Engineer
National Instruments

Travis M
LabVIEW R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,259 Views)