LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Record data at one sample rate and calculate velocity

I need to record position data at a sample rate of 10 hz but I would like to calculate velocity every half a second.  What is the best way to do this so the velocity display does not jump?  I want to capture quick responses but I would also like to calculate the velocity over a longer period of time like 1 minute. 
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,549 Views)

Hi Fantester,

Could you please clarify what kind of hardware and software (version) you are using and give us some more background about your overall project? In the meantime feel free to read the following article:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/4770

Best regards,

Kalin T.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,534 Views)

I am trying to calculate vertical speed based on pressure altitude data.  I am using serial communication to measure pressure at 10 Hz.  I am using Labview 8.2 for all of the calculations and measurements. 

I am looking for some way to average the data over some time interval that I have yet to determine.  I want to be able to see any major pressure changes whithin about .5 seconds but I also need to see trends over a longer time period say 2 to 10 seconds. 

I have thought about using an array and then averaging the array or implimenting a rolling digital filter. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,524 Views)
Hi Fantester,

How many samples are you acquaring at a rate of 10Hz? Do you have a 3rd party device that you control serially through VISA commands?
You can calculate how many samples you will have in 0.5 seconds, store them in an array and take the average. You can do the same for the other periods.

Let me know if you still need some help. 
Kalin T.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,513 Views)