LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recipe Management Using State Machines and DAQ Assistants

I am writing LabVIEW code to control a conversion process for up to 4 devices on one apparatus.

The operator will select from these 4 devices which ones will go through a conversion process. Therefore - they can select some or all of the devices to go through the process.  The process is the same for all 4 devices. The difference between the 4 are the digital outputs used for the conversion process.

Clearly a state machine is applicable. However, I would like to "reuse" the process conversion code of the state machine by creating a separate recipe for each device and merely change the digital outputs (their physical location) for the device under conversion. Presently I have DAQ Assistants controlling digital ouputs for the conversion of one device. Is it possible to "reuse" the code by creating a recipe or a lookup table to reassign the DAQ Assistants to their proper physical location (the digital output lines) for the device under conversion?

I could - copy and paste the code, go into the process and reassign every DAQ Assistant to the correct physical channel of each digital output for the other 3 devices. I was curious if there was a more efficient way.

I see documentation online for recipes; however they are dated 2006. I thought there may be some updated examples.

Using:

LabVIEW 2011

cDAQ-9188 chassis

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,192 Views)

Hi MgDAQ,

DAQ Assistant is a quick way to start acquiring data, however it's not the most efficient.

Everything that DAQ Assistant does can be acompished with basic DAQ functions on the

Measurement I/O -> NI-DAQmx pallete. For example, you can use DAQmx-Create Channel.vi and

a Channel Constant to select the channel from which you want to acquire data.

To get started with using the DAQmx functions you can browse through Hardware I/O examples in the Example Finder.

Open up a new LabVIEW VI and then go to Help -> Find Examples -> Hardware Input and Output [folder] -> DAQmx -> Digital Measurements

Now, as you probably know, copying and pasting code is inefficient and it's not a good programming practice. So what I would do is create the code for your conversion process and then simply change the channel constant to read the digital output you need.

Mikhail
RF Toolkits, Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,160 Views)