From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving SMS with Labview

We are programming a program which requires us to measure the temperature of a hot plate and control it, to make the temperature increase to a certain set point.

When it reaches the set point, an SMS will be sent out. This part has been programmed already.

Now, we want to add in a function where the user (with the mobile phone) replies the SMS with a certain message, such that the program will stop running and the temperature will (eventually) return to room temperature. How can this be done? Basically, we want the program to shut down the moment an SMS is received, but if possible we would like to program it such that only a specific message will stop the program from running.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,892 Views)

Hi landmine,

i think you already use a modem to send your sms. You can also receive a sms with a modem. You can then analyze the sms and react on the information of sender or send time or content.

Hope it helps.

Mike

Message Edited by MikeS81 on 06-16-2009 09:29 AM
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,890 Views)

@Landmine  Have you managed to physically control the hot plate's temperature knob?  I'm trying to do the same -- I can program it.  I'm trying to set up the physical part.  I'm considering a toy's DC motor, but I don't know how to make it run in both directions, to turn the temperature down.

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,778 Views)

Basically, we want the program to shut down the moment an SMS is received, but if possible we would like to program it such that only a specific message will stop the program from running.

Hi landmine,

If you are sure that you want to stop the program the moment the temperature exceeds a threshold, then why you want the user to send an SMS and stop the program. Just send the user the necessary information / alert and after that stop the program. 

Also, SMS is good for monitoring but controlling through SMS is not recommended.  What if the the modem receives the SMS after 1 hour due to a busy network?

Somil Gautam
Think Weird
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,763 Views)

Somil brings up a good point.  SMS is not a guaranteed service to start with.  So, if you choose to do two way control and telemetry, then you should build in an ACK/retry mechanism such that your system, after sending out the status/notification is expecting a reply back within a certain timeframe, and if it does not receive it, takes appropriate action.  Also, what will your system do if the cellular modem loses service?  Never depend on outside help in device safety applications.  As mentioned, if you system knows there is a problem, it should react on its own. 

-p

Paul
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,746 Views)

hi all, 

do you have any idea for receiving SMS by labview? I am using the AT commands and hyperterminal for testing the receiving sms but in labview i can't do it... 

Any idea or example code beside the basic serial read and write. vi from the example codes. 

thank you 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,324 Views)