LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving SMS texts instantly

I need to be able to receive SMS texts sent from a mobile phone instantly with Labview. Firstly, what kind of GSM modem if required - can a standard PCMCIA laptop modem be used (i.e vodafone) or should I use a serial modem with full Hayes AT support.

Secondly, how is labview configured to look out for and receive the SMS text messages. If a Hayes AT compatible modem is used would you simply read the port status as you would with serial comms with a data acquistion system ?

Thirdly, how would a serial Hayes AT command set modem act when receiving multiple incoming SMS text messages ? Can it only hold 1 at a time ?

Regards

Mike Newett
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,831 Views)
Helli Mike Newett:

If you want this cheap you can use a DAU-9P cable connect to a Nokia 5110/6110/6150 and use the published AT commands for it of course there are better high end models you can use with a MMS and GPRS feature. I have implemented a cheap solution on my lab here to send out notification signals after a microscope scan is done and also send the JPEG images to email addresses. You have to use the older version of serial libraries to hardcode the fone initialization command like AT+CMGF=1 (text mode),AT+CMGS="number" the message. Look for the website by the European ETSI for exact technical specifications of the GSM commands. Altenatively you can use your windows Modem query for valid AT commands and save the log files to a text file. And by the way
LabVIEW XP7 has many added features in the TCP/IP function pallete for email and HTML handling.
Bernardino Jerez Buenaobra
Senior Test and Systems Development Engineer
Test and Systems Development Group
Integrated Microelectronics Inc.- Philippines
Telephone:+632772-4941-43
Fax/Data: +632772-4944
URL: http://www.imiphil.com/our_location.html
email: Bernardino.Buenaobra@ph.global-imi.com
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,831 Views)
You don't want a modem, you want to connect directly to your phone - either via a cable, as the previous poster suggests, or via an infrared or Bluetooth connection if this is supported by your phone and PC.

There's some pointers to information on how to download SMS from the phone here: http://www.traud.de/gsm/index.html
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,831 Views)

Now I am going for the advanced way for my project since I have already done how to send sms to the users. Now I want to know how to receive the sms using labview programming when the user reply and it stops running? I know that I have to put the Read VISA but have difficulties in using it. Thank you for everyone who help me.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,425 Views)