LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reasons for Error code in viWrite: 0xBFFF0000

Hello NI Forums,

We have a somewhat large labview program that we have been using for years. Recently we have had problems when the viWrite returns an error of 0xBFFF0000 (VI_ERROR_SYSTEM_ERROR), Unknown system error (miscellaneous error) every so often while performing normal operations. Attached is one of these instances caught using I/O Trace.

Could you give me some feedback on what could cause this? It seems to happen randomly but does only seem to affect one of the two instruments the software is communicating with. The instrument was issued a very similar command a few seconds before the error without problems. Both instruments are using RS-232. Could this be caused by EMI in the equipment environment?

Thanks,

John O.

Message 1 of 9
(9,796 Views)

Are these normal RS-232 ports or USB-COMM ports? I have seen similar strange errors on some devices connecting to the PC over USB-COMM.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(9,777 Views)

Hello JohnO159,

The only reference I’ve found for this error code is the one in the KB viEnableEvents Returns 0xBFFF0000 VI_ERROR_SYSTEM_ERROR. It explains that this error is displayed for cases in which VISA cannot accomplish an OS-dependent task. Have you made changes in the environment (i.e. drivers)? One of the options would be that the device does not support the tasks, but if it has worked for years without problems, then we can discard it. Just to double check, is this right?

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(9,757 Views)

Do you find any soultion?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(9,733 Views)

Check for any IP conflict on the network if you are using ENET modules

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(9,409 Views)

Any updates to this post?  Did you find a solution?  I just had basically the exact same program occur.  Fifty thousand iterations of basically the exact same viWrite and then it failed.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(9,352 Views)

Did anybody find a solution?

I also get sometimes 0xBFFF0000 from my connected devices. It makes my test equipment useless.

I use 2 Stepper Motor Drivers (from Nanotec) which are connected over USB (so there are internally a USB->COM port chips which generate Virtual Com Ports)

See attachment for my Virtual Com Port Infos from System Information.

Thank you.

BR

EW

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Eugen Wiebe
Bernstein AG
CLAD - Certified LabView Associate Developer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(9,150 Views)

Hmm, I am currently running a small (standard) test exe where I permanently send commands to the virtual port, and everything seems to be OK for some time now - NO ERRORS ...

Perhaps the problem is

See image 

What do you think?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Eugen Wiebe
Bernstein AG
CLAD - Certified LabView Associate Developer
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(9,146 Views)
  • I am having a similar type of problem with a NI-RS232/4, 4 port USB serial box.
  • I have code that I am currently running which uses an 8 port PCIe serial card(PCIe-8430/8)...I have 64 stations running on 8 PC...each PC uses 1 of the PCIe cards...they run flawlessly @ 115.200k on each port, 8 hours a day.
  • I've copied this code to another machine and reconfigured for the 4 port USB serial box and now every couple hundered cycles the system dies w 0xBFFF0000. Typically I also find that the port in use becomes corrupted in MAX (Alias disappears) and Windows also removes the COM port from the Device Manager.
  • If I unplug the RS232/4 USB cable and plug it back in, it reinitialises and I am back up and running for another couple hundred cycles before failure again.

I have had these sorts of troubles with early NI Daq systems(before cDAQ)...after trying a few more things suggested by NI support, I think I'll be trying some non-NI RS232 parts, and last I'll be ditching the RS232/4 for a PCIe board that I know works.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Jim

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(9,115 Views)