LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real time operating system

I have read in some documentation that a RT algorythm can be developed under windows on a PC/PXI system, the machine can then be rebooted and run under the RT operating system on the same machine. Is this possible with a standard PC system, or is this only on NI embedded controllers?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,807 Views)
Stuart,

Typically, the real-time program is developed in the RT Development System running on Windows. Then the program is downloaded to an RT DAQ Device, or a RT Series PXI Controller. The RT Series PXI Controller runs headless, meaning no keyboard, monitor, or mouse are needed. The RT Engine has drivers written specifically for supporting the RT Controllers. While it is true that you can boot a PXI Controller in Windows, and also in the RT Engine, you would not want to develop and implement your code on the same controller. It might be possible, but it would be very difficult. It is analogous to driving with your eyes closed.

What is recommended is that you use a Windows Host PC running the RT Development System to download VIs to the RT Engine. While develop
ing, the RT Development System provides you a user interface to your RT Engine VIs. This is helpful for testing and debugging code. A host PC is also needed to configure the RT Engine to launch executables at startup.

I hope this clarifies things.

Chad H.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/ask
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,807 Views)
Thanks Chad, the reason I asked was because I was previously sent the document called "real time made easy with national insruments labview RT". On page 9 it says it is possible.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,807 Views)
Stuart,

What is the document name and/or volume, issue number, etc?

Thanks,
Chad H.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,807 Views)