LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real-Time lossless compression of 4-8GByte/s ADC data stream using PNG/ZIP

Thanks Bill. 

According to the lz4 description, it should handle >500 MB/core, so running it on 8 cores would solve my problem. However, this didn't work for me. And, for comparison, the 500MB/s benchmark was done on data that is much more densely packed with information than my regular data. So this is odd and we are troubleshooting. I guess now this is a topic for a lz4 forum, not LV anymore. However, in case someone in the LV forum is looking for implementing a streaming compression like I do, I will keep posting updates here in case I make progress. Thank you all for now!

Message 11 of 13
(374 Views)

I assume you've tried different compression levels with the ZStd library?  They'll trade off compression and time, though not linearly, and possibly not even monotonically.  lz4 certainly should perform better than ZStd, although all parameters seem to be very data-dependent.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13
(354 Views)

Thanks Greg, I did. For Zstd, compression "-5" was used since this should give the fastest performance. For lz4 we didn't find an explicit value to use for the acceleration. Acc. of 1 is default and each additional level should give roughly a 3% increase in speed. However, we tested until acc. level 100 and didn't see an increase in speed. Will try some more.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13
(347 Views)