From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading .txt file from remote machine?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I`m just starting out with LabView so I apologise for any obvious questions..

In my current project I'm trying to read a .txt file from a measurement device (Red Pitaya with Linux/Ubuntu running on it; connected via Ethernet) to plot a graph from x&y values.. I would have to somehow automatically navigate to the folder where the file is and use it as input.

The options I've found so far is TCP connection with the Listen.vi or some kind of SSH-connection via (Extra-)Putty.. Not sure how to exactly go about it though..

If anyone of you could lead me into the right direction I'd highly appreciate it!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(3,540 Views)

you need a solution for sharing file. SAMBA or FTP.

Benoit

Message 2 of 13
(3,504 Views)

Not FTP, that's ancient and very unsecure. Sending pw as plain text over the network is bad, even if it's a private network.

I'd go for WebDAV or Samba. A WebDAV (or FTP) server in Linux should be a piece of cake. Not sure how easy Samba is, but all options are probably just software configuration on the Linux side.

Samba would mean you have a network path to access the file. FTP or WebDAV would require using the FTP or WebDAV VIs that (AFAIK) ship with (newer versions of) LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(3,487 Views)

lol you are funny!

No FTP  but you suggest it...

Smiley Frustrated

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(3,464 Views)

Thanks, I`ll try both options! 

In my case security has low priority as I`m just communicating with a measuring device.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(3,452 Views)

I think I`ll give the FTP VI a go!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(3,451 Views)

Sigh.

I mentioned FTP among the other options, as some comments apply to FTP as well. I didn't suggest FTP, but if you must use FTP, go ahead. 

I don't see why you would use FTP. WebDAV works the same, but safe.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(3,445 Views)

I thought FTP is easier to implement as I found a good youtube tutorial about that, but if WebDav is similar I`ll go for this then!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(3,443 Views)

@redpiII wrote:

I thought FTP is easier to implement as I found a good youtube tutorial about that, but if WebDav is similar I`ll go for this then!

No hands on experience, but from LabVIEW PoV it wouldn't make much difference. With a new RT target, I think WebDAV is actually easier as it's OOTB, while FTP is a legacy technique.

Not sure how installing it on Linux works. My guess is both a WebDAV and FTP server are just a few clicks. I think WebDAV file sharing is done with NFS.

Both FTP as WebDAV (HTTP) can be done over a secured connection (SFTP and HTTPS). HTTP would be another advantage of WebDAV, as corporate firewalls often block (S)FTP.

According to this, Samba will be even easier to set up. That will probably be easy from LV PoV as well...

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(3,440 Views)

So if I understand correctly, I need to install a WebDav server on my linux device so that I can read the files with the other PC via Labview? My Linux device doesn`t have internet (I`m just connected with the PC via Ethernet cable), can I still i install the server?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(3,432 Views)