LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading temperature from DS18B20 digital temp. sensor using DAQ USB6008??

hello..
im trying to read the temperature reading from this DS18B20 digital temperature sensor...
it is a 1-wire interface sensor...and its provides digital temperature measurements...
im using the DAQ USB6008 Digital I/O to read this sensor...
how can i get the exact degree C reading by using LabVIEW and this USB6008??
below is the datasheet of the temperature sensor DS18B20....
anyone can help??
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(12,168 Views)

The DAQ USB6008 was designed for analogue type sensors and simple digital IO, not sensors with a digital serial output.

I have used similar 1-wire sensor chips in projects.

To get the readings from these chips we usually used Microprocessors. You could probably use a 1-wire serial or USB bridge to connect directly to the PC though. 

Message 2 of 10
(12,039 Views)

Hi

I was thinking about doing the same thing, to use a DAQ USB 6009 (in my case) to read the digital temperature in the 1 wire protocol of the DS18B20.

Ofcourse that the DAQ has only i/o digital or i/o analog pins. But if we make a program in Labview using the external circuitry explained in the PDF of standard of iButton devices to follow the same 1 wire protocol I think that it is possible. What do you think about?

The circuitry is on page 5, Figure 1-4

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(10,044 Views)

Hi Petry,

The 6009 is excellent at simple digital input output and analog measurements.  However. I'm going to echo what Karissa said and recommend you use a different device to communicate with your temperature sensor.  

Best Regards,

Bobby Breyer
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(10,028 Views)

Hi,

I will create a Labview App using this DAQ USB6009 because I will make analog temperature meassurements too, that was the reason. I found out that I can receive the digital data of a 1 wire device by using an USB to 1 wire adaptor (logic?? jaja). I found this Labview App that alouds you to meassure a whole 1 wire network. The question is if can I use the App or a part of the App for me to make my Labview temperature behavior App?. I already sent an e-mail for me to know about that possiblity.

Here is the link 🙂

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-1092

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(10,017 Views)

Hi Petry;

I have a DAQ USB 6009 and DS18B20 digital temperature sensor. I want to read temperature from this sensor. If possible, could you please send me your program about it? I'm using Labview 2010.

Thanks a lot...

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(7,736 Views)

Hi adanali,

I believe this community example https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-1092 could be what Petry was talking about. Are you able to use this to read the temperature from your DS18B20? If not, what problems are you running into? 

Thanks!

Selene
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(7,681 Views)

Hi Selene;

First of all, I want to thank for your interest. Yes, I saw the topic about "Reading 1-Wire DS18B20 and DS18S20 Via a Serial or USB Adapter". Actually, I want to read the temperature with DS18B20 via arduino. I attach a program about it, but it doesn't work. It measures only "1".

Best Regards,

Message 8 of 10
(7,665 Views)

Hi adanali,

No problem! For some reason I can't open your VI, I don't know if it's a problem on my end or with the VI but could you possibly include a VI snippet instead? I'm not very familiar with programming Arduinos in LabVIEW so I'm afraid I won't be much help on that front. I do know we have some great resources on the LabVIEW makerhub website if you haven't had a chance to look there yet:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/groups/labview-interface-for-arduino 

Posting your question to those discussion forums may also yeild some more info as people know more about the Arduino side of things there. 

Finally, I was able to find this article which is from a third party website but seems pretty closely related to what you're trying to do, it may be worth checking this out, as well as the library they're talking about:

http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/ds18b20-arduino

Thanks!

Selene
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(7,615 Views)

Hi Selene;

Thank you very much for your kind interest

Best Regards

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(7,591 Views)