From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading tasks signal names into Select Signals VI?

Is there any way to get the signal names that I have specified in a task to propagate downstream to a Select Signals VI?   ...so that the signal name actually corresponds to what I have it named in the task?

Thanks!

Chad

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,403 Views)

The task names don't actually exist on the wire until you've had a chance to run the VI at least one time.  (After all, it's just a wire to start with.)

Run your VI once.  Then open the Select Signals Express VI.  The signal names should now be picked up by the Express VI dialog box code.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,402 Views)

Interesting... I was thinking that they should propagate, but for some odd reason they're not.  I have two totally different projects I'm working on, one is using the DAQAssistant... the channels are named, but they don't show up in the Select Signals VI after I run it, and one where I'm using tasks that have the channels named, reading with the DAQmx Read and still no names for the channels after running.   

Thanks,

C

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,398 Views)

Post your VI's, maybe there is another reason that the signal names aren't getting through.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,383 Views)

Ok, I'm back on track.... I got pulled off on another project and got side tracked.  Sorry for the delay! 

Attached is my current VI, as you can see I have just used a Split Signals function for my development and would like to go back and clean it up some, but when I put in the Select Signals function the named channels don't pull from the DAQ Assistant.  It will recognize that there are 26 channels if I run it, but no names... just numbered channels.   Anyone see what I'm doing wrong?   ...other than too much on the screen! Smiley Wink

Thanks guys/gals!

C

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,319 Views)

Maybe I've just figured out my problem... I'm using an Express Task.  I haven't read anywhere that it doesn't pass the info along while using an express task, but maybe that's the case.

...on that note, why is it that if I have a DAQ assistant sitting there I have two options... convert it to a task, or generate the code... shouldn't it do both if it's replacing the assistant?   I only ask because no matter which one you chose, the VI will no longer run with out further work, even though it did run before! 

THX

C

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,306 Views)