From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading in and shrinking a large csv file

I am attempting to read in a large CSV file that contains a days worth of 1hz data (500 columns, 86400 rows, about 450MB). In my program, I am reading in multiple files and plotting certain columns for multiple weeks worth of data at a time. The data used to come in 1hr files (around 14MB), and I could manage it, but now it will be coming in 24hr files instead.

I only need about 100 columns of this data and I only need 1 out of every 300 rows (I would like to set this as a variable later). When I use the 'Read from Text File' function, I get a memory error: 'Not enough memory to complete this operation'. 

Is there a way to only read a certain line (row) from a text file? Right now, it seems like I have to read the entire text file before performing any additional operations on it. I have tried playing with the 'Read Lines' and 'Convert EOL' settings, I've tried using the 'Read from Spreadsheet File' vi, and I have read through many different postings on this site but I can't figure out a way to do this.

If there are any other ways I might be able to read in this large data file, I am interested in those also. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,867 Views)

Hi Chumm,

I only need about 100 columns of this data and I only need 1 out of every 300 rows (I would like to set this as a variable later).

Step 1: Use ReadFromTextFile to read just 300 lines/rows.

Step 2: Pick the 1 line/row you need. Filter your ~100 from this row.

Step 3: Back to step 1 until end of file encountered…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 2
(1,847 Views)