From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading frequency of encoder pulses with cRIO hardware

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a encoder that sends a pulse out depending on location (max for our system is a few hundread Hz).  I would like to count these pulses to determine a speed of the system.  I have a cRio and using scan mode (no FPGA programming ability).  Would the 9401 do this, the scan mode literature says that any 8 channel DIO could be used as a counter.  I would like to use the other channels as normal digital outputs too.  I have a 9403 (I thought I could do the same with that) but it seems that I cannot use this as a counter in scan mode.

Thanks for the help

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,706 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author GreenRiver

Hi River,

one limitation of the ScanEngine, that always bugged me, is you can only choose one option for the whole module. So you can use your 9401 module either as DO or as CTR - there is no mixing possible.

So your options are to use the 9401 only for counters - or to buy the FPGA license upgrade…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 2
(2,687 Views)